Fondant "sub Contractor" Of Sorts Seeking Help

Business By FondantFlunky Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 11:17pm by Paperfishies

FondantFlunky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantFlunky Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

I'm in a situation that I can't seem to find answers to any where else on the internet, so I'm hoping some of you out here in cakeland can help me.

I am not a baker, and until about 4 months ago didn't have anything to do with cake decorating.

I have an etsy shop and sell paintings, clay and so on.

I was contacted by a friend of a friend who runs a cake business from her home about doing some fondant work that she couldn't. Since I have started doing fondant for her business has picked up considerably and I'm doing 3D figures and 2D work plus drawing and designing cakes to meet customers needs. This week alone I've been asked to do a 3D Lalaloopsy figure with Pet, a 3D character from Duck Dynasty plus ducks and design a cake for that theme, 2 flat college mascots, a 9 inch tall 2D power ranger, a 2D cloud with name, 3D roses and a flat painted skull and bears for a Grateful Dead theme cake. She plans on giving me 60 dollars. She provides the fondant... I'm uncomfortable asking for more money but feel I may be being used.

Anyone out there do free lance fondant work and not their own cakes?

What and how do you charge?

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 4

AIf she is providing the materials, I recommend charging based on your labor. So if you set your wage at $15, $60 would be a fair price for a figure that takes 4 hours to create.

One thing to note: many of the figures you mentioned are copyrighted characters, so you would need to obtain permission from the owner of the character before you can legally recreate it.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 4

Set a pay rate, and stick with it! Or quote by job.

Leaving it "open" leaves one person, or the other "used". As I believe you are now feeling, rightfully so!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 4

If she is providing the materials, you need to figure out an hourly rate and tell her that is what you will charge her...IMO, it sounds like she is taking advantage of your skill and kindness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%