Cake Quality/input??

Decorating By army51912 Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 1:39pm by rica827

army51912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
army51912 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 6:35am
post #1 of 2

AI just decorate cakes for a hobby and everyone always seems to love my cakes. However I am looking for input from other cake decorators, as where i am from you dont see extravagant cakes or even fondant covered cakes very often. Alot of people ask what fondant even is! :) Most people just buy cakes from the local grocery store bakery. What quality do you think this cake has and what would be a selling price for this cake? Its an 9in 2 layer french vanilla cake, raspberry filling with buttercream frosting. And i do know this is a very simple cake. Thanks!! All input appreciated!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2956571/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

1 reply
rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 2

It's cute! It is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Personally, I don't love cakes that are wild with a lot going on. The concept is very cute and the duck is done well. I can see some good petal technique on the sides too. The writing could use some improvement. Either look into fondant letters to clean them up, or practice your cursive. Is this something someone could get in a grocery store in your area? I'm not trying to be mean, but someone could get this at a grocery store in my area. The design is very easy. Perhaps stores in your area don't sell cakes likes this though?

Pricing is difficult because we don't know your area, overhead, cost of ingredients, time spent, etc. You really have to price your own. I can tell you what I would charge in upstate New York, but it could be $50 more or less somewhere else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%