Modeling Chocolate Issues???

Decorating By jessilachelle Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 3:38pm by Crazy-Gray

jessilachelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessilachelle Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 6:00am
post #1 of 4

AMy modeling chocolate keeps coming out greasy and limp. I've been using 7 oz chocolate 2/3 cup corn syrup.suggestions?

3 replies
WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 9:28am
post #2 of 4

Your ratio of corn syrup to chocolate sounds high.

If it's coming out greasy, you may be over-mixing it. It only requires 10-12 turns of the spoon/spatula. I recommend folding it gently like egg whites. 

If the chocolate and/or sugar syrup are overheated, that can also cause modeling chocolate to separate, i.e. get oily. Make sure to go easy on the heat. 

80 Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
80 Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

I find that right after mixing the modeling chocolate I have to let it sit for a while to cool. You can even stick it in the fridge if you are in a hurry. 

Once it's cooled I kneed it for a bit and it smooths out. Like WickedGoodies said if you have warm hands and handle it too much it will get oily. I find I often have to set it aside to rest and cool every so often while i'm working with it. 

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessilachelle 

My modeling chocolate keeps coming out greasy and limp. I've been using 7 oz chocolate 2/3 cup corn syrup.suggestions?

I use 450g (16oz) to one-third cup of corn syrup- too much syrup:chocolate will leave you with a soft MC good enough for cake covering maybe but not 3d figures. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%