Farmer's Market

Baking By sewlo Updated 21 May 2013 , 12:33pm by Annie70

sewlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlo Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:29am
post #1 of 19

I was just accepted into my local farmers market!  I will be selling cupcakes, cookies, and dessert bars.

This market is very well attended (about 4,000 a Saturday) and located in an affluent area.

I'm trying to plan how much to bring every week.  I heard somewhere you should bring about 10% of how many attendees will be there ... so I'm thinking around 400 items.  Does anyone have any advice for me on this?

Thanks!

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 19

not really any advise but wow how cool for you

sounds like a tremendous opportunity

well yes i thought of something after all

be sure you take care of sewlo and bring enough water for you to drink

and toss some 'fast food' in the car--like a nice baggie full of cashews or pecans or trail mix

let me/us know how it goes for you

i hope you do great with this

daisycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisycakesnj Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 19

Congrats and yes, 10% is the minimum I would take. Good luck!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 19

I do quite a few markets or similar events, the first time I always take 10% if it's under 10k estimated guests, 5% if over 10K. That has worked really well for me.

I don't do markets that have direct competition, if there is someone else selling the same products as you, obviously you won't sell as many.

400 is actually quite a lot to sell, I wouldn't take any more than that. Then you can judge how many to take the next week by how you do the first time.

Not sure how your market works, but I finally got into a really nice one just outside of Seattle, and there the longer you attend, the better placement you get.

Closer to the entrance means more sales, so I am always adjusting how many I take.

If the rules allow you to do some sort of prize draw, those always draw people in.

sewlo Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:22am
post #5 of 19

Thank you!

As far as I know, there will be other booths selling baked goods, but no other booths selling cupcakes or cookies. One will be a gluten free booth, one sells these amazing fruit bars, others sell bread and pies. So I shouldn't have too much competition in the cupcake arena. 

I'm not exactly sure where my booth will be yet. I should be meeting with the director sometime soon to familiarize myself with where I will be located during the market. All I know is I will be on the north side, but that doesn't mean much to me right now! :)

I will start off with 10% and see how it goes from there. I'm sure it will take me a few Saturdays to get an idea of how much to make. The market runs mid May until the beginning of October, so I will have lots of practice! Thanks again for all the advice! Also, I'll be sure to pack some water and snacks for myself ... Good thinking!!!

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 19

Congrats that is awesome. I am thinking about going to a farmer's market in my area. Keep us posted and of any lessons learned! :-) I'll do the same....ours doesn't start till end of May!

Good luck!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 19

AIf the market is open 8 hours, to sell 400 items you will have to average 50 sales every hour or about 1 sale every minute.

DebJ812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebJ812 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 3:51am
post #8 of 19

ACongrats and good luck! I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my town but it's a much smaller market. I was happy to see some good advice from others.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on selling cupcakes at an outdoor market in the summer. Isn't the heat a concern? What can you do?

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 19

How did it go at the market?

sewlo Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 19

AMy market doesn't start until May 18 and runs every Saturday to October 6. I still have 30 days to plan and prep!

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 9:26am
post #11 of 19

awesome well done you! Let us know how you get on

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes!

SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 19

Hey,

Ive just signed up to have a cupcake stall in August with aprox 10000 people attending over the weekend - I have no idea how many cupcakes to bake either and was also going for 10%,

Let us know how It goes,

Good luck :)

Sophie x

sewlo Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:37am
post #14 of 19

I will definitely keep everyone updated! 22 days until the first market -- it's getting close!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 19

ACongratulations Sewlo! I'm working on getting in to my local market too. It starts soon - I can't wait to get the final word on the details!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 19

I did a local market last year, well only for 3 Fridays.  Here are some of the things that I learned:

1.  Most of the people wanted the basic Chocolate and Vanilla Cupcakes, especially the kids.

2.  The heat was HORRIBLE!  I am in NY and we had 90 degree weather on the days I was there.  We were on a black topped parking lot.  I have a tent with sides for protection and shade.  If you are using a frosting that is not made for the heat, be prepared.  The first week I had chocolate with Chocolate frosting.  They were selling well but not fast enough.  The frosting melted on about 2 dozen of them so obviously I couldn't sell them.  What I did the follow week was brought a cooler filled with ice and kept frosting in it ready to frost the cupcakes.  Then I also use the under the bed totes to transport the cupcakes.  I double up the totes and put ice between the layers to work as a cooler for them. 

3.  I used a covered cake display to show one of each flavor of cupcake available.  I usually had about 4-5 choices. 

4.  Items such as Whoopie Pies sold like crazy because they were individual and easy to eat.

5.  Make sure to have bags to put your containers in.  The more convenient it is for the customer to carry, the more likely they will buy something.

I did really well the first week but then it slowed down after.  It wasn't worth my time or the money to go to it.  That being said, I am trying another one this summer that is MUCH more popular and VERY busy.  I will try it and see how it works.  Luckily for this one you only pay as you go.  No season contract.  I am willing to try things a few times.  If they work than great, if not then I learned something.  Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you! 

DebJ812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebJ812 Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:33pm
post #17 of 19

ASnLSweetEscapes--great advice! Thanks!

sewlo Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 19

Just wanted to give an update on how the Market went for my first week!  (Still many weeks to go!)

1. I ended up making way too many items.  AND was so tired from making said items.  Next week I'm definitely limiting what I bring.  Definitely fewer cupcakes.  More cookies, however, as those were a big seller and people asked for more flavors.

2. The heat was not bad for us.  All my cream cheese frosted cupcakes are kept in coolers (one on display) for health department requirements.  The rest I plan on keeping covered and with an ice pack on warmer days.

3. I plan on more signage next week, like a banner with my logo and a list of items I offer underneath (basic categories like cupcakes, cookies, etc) to place hanging from my tent.  I have a chalkboard and sign on my table, but need something more eye catching.

4. I will be raising my prices on the cookies.  Otherwise, it won't be worth it for me!

5. Talking to people that come up to the booth is great for business!  Telling them what you have, offering them a sample, etc.  Yes, some people are just sample takers.  But I had quite a few who once they tasted a sample bought then or came back later.  Make samples small enough to leave them wanting more!

My set up was nice (will change a few things in the "prep" area behind me).  The main table will stay the same.  I bought a cupcake display case, which was expensive, but WORTH IT.  And a large tray with a cover for the cookies.

Overall, a great start and I am looking forward to the weeks to come!

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 21 May 2013 , 12:33pm
post #19 of 19

Mine starts on Saturday.  Can I ask what cookies you made and what were you best sellers??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%