Ganache And Cover A Cake All In One Day????

Decorating By dswarburton Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 5:14pm by auntginn

dswarburton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dswarburton Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

A friend has asked me to help her cover her son's cake.. But it need to all be done on the one day.. Is it possible? I've always waited for the ganache to set overnight so I'm not sure what problems I'm going to have. Does anyone have any advice or tips on what I should do?

Cheers

6 replies
kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 9:51am
post #2 of 7

just put the cake covered in gnache in the fridge for a while before you cover in fondant.  In fact, take the cake out about 15 minutes before you want to cover it cos it will form a layer of condensation as it comes to room temperature and will be sticky ready to fondant.  I did cooked a cake, gnached and fondant it all in a day on Sunday.  Good luck

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:32am
post #3 of 7

^Yes, this. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7

If you dont like the idea of putting the ganached cake in the fridge - ganache it in the morning and then allow to set up until after lunch....or later if possible.

Is it a mud cake you are ganaching and covering?

The reason i ask is because mud cakes shouldn't go in the fridge..................... ever. 

The cold dry air can tend to dry your mud cake out.

Yes, i know many will come on and dispute this - so i am only giving you MY advice....   

Each to their own........ of course.icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

ellawillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellawillow Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:50am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue 

If you dont like the idea of putting the ganached cake in the fridge - ganache it in the morning and then allow to set up until after lunch....or later if possible.

Is it a mud cake you are ganaching and covering?

The reason i ask is because mud cakes shouldn't go in the fridge..................... ever. 

The cold dry air can tend to dry your mud cake out.

Yes, i know many will come on and dispute this - so i am only giving you MY advice....   

Each to their own........ of course.icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Hi Bluehue,

So I just read your post about 'never ever putting mud cake in the fridge' and my first thought is 'Eeeeeeeek' as this is what I have always done...and it is usually for a few days before I ice it.  When I say I put it in the fridge - it is when I first make it....wrap it a few times in cling wrag and then pop in a freezer bag and into the fridge.  Sometimes it is in for a few days - others just overnight.  What should I be doing?  Also is it ok to freeze it - say a week or so or is this the same thing.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Ellawillow :)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellawillow 

Hi Bluehue,

So I just read your post about 'never ever putting mud cake in the fridge' and my first thought is 'Eeeeeeeek' as this is what I have always done...and it is usually for a few days before I ice it.  When I say I put it in the fridge - it is when I first make it....wrap it a few times in cling wrag and then pop in a freezer bag and into the fridge.  Sometimes it is in for a few days - others just overnight.  What should I be doing?  Also is it ok to freeze it - say a week or so or is this the same thing.

Hi ellawillow...

Yes yes, most certainly freeze them - actually a mud cake that has been in the freezer usually is better than one that hasn't been.

Some will differ - they can - but many of us agree that it helps with the setting process and the *mud* side of the cake.

I always pop mine in the freezer after baking

Wrap as you do - and straight into the freezer.thumbs_up.gif

I believe that by popping them into the fridge dries them...sounds odd - but you can notice the difference after you have taken one rom the fridge and one from the freezer.

Most certainly - you can freeze a mud cake for up to 3 months without any harm happening.

Mine are only in there for roughly 24 - 30 hours -  take them out in the evening - leave completely covered in there wrapping overnight on the bench - in the morning  one by one I unwrap and start filling - allow that to settle for a few hours - then cover in ganache and then allow that to settle/firm overnight ... then the decorating begins next morning

Again - everybody has *their* way of doing things...

This is my way - and never had a complaint yet as to the texture or the taste

Just the same as I don't freeze a fruit cake - I prefer to wrap in many layers of baking paper - then glad wrap - then foil.

Keep in a tin in the bottom dark pantry for at least 3 months for it to mature.

Sometimes  a frozen food item can have a certain *frozen flour* taste about it.... that's why I don't freeze fruit cakes - (but you can - no caking law against it)

Just like I don't like the taste of a frozen scone or hot cross buns...again - that frozen flour taste best describes it.

Blue icon_smile.gif

Would love to hear your thoughts. I wrote an epic for you... lolllllllllllllllll icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Ellawillow :)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 7

@Blue, interesting tips on the mud cakes.  I am just getting into them and love them.  So I am reading up on and trying to different things to see what works, etc. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%