Buttercream Too Fluffy?!?!?!

Baking By Buttercups24 Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 7:34pm by AZCouture

Buttercups24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercups24 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:55am
post #1 of 10

We use a basic butter cream recipe with half butter half shortening. The problem we are having is that the cake is too fluffy. The air bubbles are very large, they do not look good and I can't get them to go away! CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!?!?!?icon_sad.gif

9 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:13am
post #2 of 10

When you whip it, are you using a paddle attachment or a whisk attachment?  Paddle attachments incorporate less air...

How long are you whipping it for?  Longer whip times usually incorporate more air...

Is your recipe an American Buttercream or Cooked Buttercream recipe?  

Hopefully some of that helps a bit...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 10

I cream my fat for about 15 minutes before I add the sugar.  This is with the paddle at a low-medium speed.  When I add the sugar, I mix it for about two minutes on low speed.  Any more than that and you will add too much air.  If you do add too much air then all you can really do is just smush it against the bowl with your spatula to get the air out that way.  I never use the whisk attachment for my BC unless I'm going for a really whipped texture.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 10

Not sure what you are making, but I make 4x batches of SMBC in a 6qt KA, and at the end, I turn the mixer to low and let it turn around for a good 5 minutes working the bubbles out.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 10

Yep that's also a good way to get the bubbles out.  I make both IMBC and ABC and the methods are basically the same, except for IMBC I use the whisk when adding the sugar syrup into the meringue.

jstamoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstamoore Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 10

I've found that adding more liquid will get rid of the air pockets.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 10

AOff topic. The 6qt can handle 4 batches? My 5.5qt Cuisinart can barely handle 2 :-(

OP try running the mixer on low with the paddle attachment for a few minutes when you're done. You could also use a spatula.

AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 10

Well, my 4x batch might not be the same as yours, no? :D My SMBC recipe at 4x is about 21 eggs, 5 cups sugar, and 3 pounds of butter. I have to use my splash guard, cause it barely fits in the bowl without it, and would slop over the side.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 10

I figured a batch of SMBC would use approximately 12 oz to 1 lb of butter and the appropriate ratios of egg whites around the 1:2:3 ratio-- at least a vast majority of the recipes I've seen use that amount.

My 2-batch recipes uses approximately 2 lbs of butter and my mixer most definitely cannot handle that much so I always do a 1-1/2 batch. I am so jealous!

I think its the way the bowl is designed, it deeper than the Kitchenaid so the attachments end up being about half way into the bowl to reach the bottom, so in reality I only have a little over half the capacity of the 5.5qt bowl to use. If I filled up the bowl or even tried to use 4 qts the mixture would completely cover the attachment, and part of the arm that holds the attachment. 

AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah, it barely fits, but I make it work. Nothing like having a ginormous batch all done in one fell swoop. :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%