Ok, I Truly S*ck At Making Roses...

Decorating By sfandm Updated 7 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm by taartenmaker

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:15am
post #31 of 46

There's mine!  Working at a retail chain I got good at roses quick!  I do a couple hundred a week!  =-)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:29am
post #32 of 46

Nice cakemommy, love the doll cake.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 1:26pm
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowercakes 

Dang I have one of these husbands!

It's handy when I just need something done, like 'smooth this cake for me real quick, here's how you do it' or 'help me get through this level on my stupid candy crush game, this is how it works'. But really annoying! 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:45pm
post #34 of 46

AHaha kikiandkyle! I've been following this thread all week planning on experimenting on bc roses today since I have leftover bc from Easter. Then you have to go and bring up the annoying and stupidly addicting Candy Crush game!! Thanks! But I have been enjoying everyone's suggestions!! Theresa

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:22pm
post #35 of 46

AI fkgfykhg[quote name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/755846/ok-i-truly-s-ck-at-making-roses#post_7379542"]Here are some of mine. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/[quote name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/755846/ok-i-truly-s-ck-at-making-roses#post_7379542"]Here are some of mine. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2971126/width/200/height/400[/IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2971127/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote] [quote name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/755846/ok-i-truly-s-ck-at-making-roses#post_7379542"]Here are some of mine. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2971126/width/200/height/400[/IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2971127/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote] I too love doing buttercream roses and the best advice I can give is practice,practice, practice!! I sit down for hours sometimes inorder to learn a new technique but it's sooo worth it in he end hun! Beautiful work Annabakescakes!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:31pm
post #36 of 46

AThank you so much, Baking Queen! I really love doing them. I LOVE the way the cupcakes look. I am always thrilled when I have a quick small budget cake for a girl, because I just Plop some roses on it, and done!

Baking Queen Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:00am
post #37 of 46

AYour welcome:) LOL I absolutely love doing simple cakes like that! What could be more feminine than a cake full of roses! I haven't atrempted to do them on cupcakes..I think I'm a little nervous to try that lol! Do you do it on a nail first or straight on the cupcake itself? I guess the whole 3,5,7 rule for the petals wouldn't apply for that huh?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:12am
post #38 of 46

AI stuck the cupcake on a nail, with buttercream, and used a large tip, I forget what it is, but I remember I had to pinch one end of it a bit before I could pipe. It took 3 or 4 tries for the first one, to get the technique down, but then it was smooth sailing. I have never counted my petals in my life, I just start with 3, because it looks nice, then pipe until it looks how I want it ;-) They were the grease proof liners, so I was able to just wipe the buttercream off the bottom, and no one was the wiser.

I tried the plastic cupcake nail that Wilton has, but found it to big.

Retha1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retha1 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:56am
post #39 of 46

why can't my roses look like that.  I have taken 2 of Wilton piped icing classes and I still can't make roses!!  It is making me crazy!  I can't seem to do them with fondant either.  What is wrong with me?  I can do all the other stuff, why can't I make roses?  The bottom (butt) of the rose is always so big and bulky!  I want it to be small. Real roses do not have giant thick butts. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Retha1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retha1 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:57am
post #40 of 46

can't help you. I suck at them too.

acakewalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakewalk Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 12:28pm
post #41 of 46

AJust wanted to share a tip I share with my students. In order to avoid switching tips to make the base I tell them to put a dollop of frosting on their nail then attach a Hershey kiss. Use this as the base. Then your customers get a nice surprise inside when they eat the rose. I also tell them remember big bottom on bottom so they remember to have the narrow end of their tip pointing up. Then its like going over the rainbow. You squeeze go up to the top of the rainbow as you turn your nail then slide down the other side. As you do another row if it is too hard to tilt your tip to "fan out" your petals try slightly tilting your nail away from you. You frosting should be stiff enough that if you touch it, it doesn't stick to you but not so thick that it "feather" jagged edges when you pipe out petals. HTH and good luck

Baking Queen Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:01pm
post #42 of 46

AAh that makes sense thanks I will have to give them a try. I am going to work at a Cupcakery soon so must try to learn all about cupcakes 101 Your so kind its been nice chatting!

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:29pm
post #43 of 46

Try using a hershey kiss for the center so you can focus just on the petals for now.  Just adhere it to your flower nail with a dab of buttercream.  Also, maybe consider buying the Wilton ready-to-use icing (if you buy the small can you will probably want to thin it a little) Once you get the technique down, go back to your homemade icing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:11pm
post #44 of 46

marla--i love the hershey kiss idea

any excuse to have to buy them--oh the burden ;)

however my deal is if i got any roses made after feasting/gourging on most of the chocolate

i would soon be destroying those roses to get rescue the candy I trapped in there ;)

i mean how do you get past the smellll????

good thing i make them the other way or i'd have never made it as a decorator icon_biggrin.gif

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:10pm
post #45 of 46

Ok, I have not been on here lately due to large cupcake and other orders, but I am going to try the bc rose and kiss technique on Tuesday, I will try to videotape myself doing it with my ipad. I have read all the suggestions since my last post, and I think one of the problems I have been having is that I am trying to turn the bag, and I should be holding it still. My question is this tho:

Everyone is saying to use stiffer frosting than for piping a shell border. I am assuming that if I run a knife thru the bc frosting, it should stay in place, and not run back into the canyon I have created.

BTW, I absolutely love everyones pics of bc roses, I am really jealous now.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and suggestions, I will be in touch soon.

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm
post #46 of 46

AI also use to think i s*ucked at making roses but now after loooooooot off practice i can make them very good

A few tips: -To prevent your icing from becoming to soft flush your hands in cold water to ceep it cool -you can also pipe your base with tip 104 so you don't have to swith the tips while making the rose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%