What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By missvicks05 Updated 20 Mar 2013 , 3:37pm by missvicks05

missvicks05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

I just recently started my cake business and orders are coming in quite nicely. I just got asked to make a wedding cake to serve about 130 people.

I was thinking of doing a 6, 8, 10, 12 cake and charging $4/slice.  What size pans would you use to make it a 3 tier cake? Am I selling myself short on price?

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

A

Original message sent by missvicks05

Am I selling myself short on price?

It depends. What would your costs be for this cake, including ingredients, labor, and per-order overhead (license fees, insurance, etc.)? What is the market value for a cake like this in your area?

missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

It depends. What would your costs be for this cake, including ingredients, labor, and per-order overhead (license fees, insurance, etc.)? What is the market value for a cake like this in your area?

I would say my costs would be no more than $100 for ingredients and supplies. As for labor, it's just me working on it. I'm not very good at pricing my stuff - still learning.

I have no idea regarding license fees and insurance. I do this out of my home and most of my customers so far have been friends, or friends of friends.

The market value for a cake like this in my area really depends. I live in the suburbs, but the area where the couple actually lives sells there cake starting at $500+.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5
missvicks05 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

6/10/14 = 128.

Save this link http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I've only ever made one wedding cake in the past for my cousin's wedding. I did a 6, 10 and 14 but boy did I have trouble torting and covering the 14" cake with fondant. I'm trying to stay away from that again! lol

I feel with the 6, 10 and 14, it doesn't give it that sharp triangular look as i think a 6, 8, 10 and 12 would.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%