Strawberries In The Cake= Soggy Cake??

Decorating By Cakemommy2012 Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 11:36pm by Cakemommy2012

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 4:26am
post #1 of 5

So I made a White WASC cake and added in fresh cut strawberries but the cake seems soggy.  What did I do wrong?  Is there a way to successfully add fresh fruit IN the cake mix itself??  I tried searching the forum but every thing kept showing up as fresh fruit Filling----

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 5

i do this with good results

i use a very sharp knife to cut the berries

the berries have been washed but i dry them off

i cut the berries kinda small--for an average size berry --three cuts each way give or take

so when the cake is cut the berries won't be all wonky and ruin the servings

i do let them go 'round in the mixer very briefly at the end of the mix

the bigger pieces do sink a bit when it bakes but it's not soggy

when i torte i make sure the sections heavier with the berries are stacked in there pleasantly--not right next to each other

i used white cake mix, four eggs, a small box of strawberry jello, 1/2 cup milk, and some oil--just a little-- couple tablespoons or 1/4 cup and one cup of (sharp knife) cut berries--not chopped though

so i did not use wasc for this and it works great for me

80 Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
80 Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

Whenever I add strawberries (or other fresh fruit) to cake I try to cut them really small (chopped more than sliced). I usually set them in a strainer over a bowl so that they drain, but I will also sometimes pat them dry with a paper towel if they are really wet. I add them to the mixer at the very end and let them get well incorporated. That way the juice that is left in them goes into the batter (and turns the batter pink) which helps distribute the flavor more. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 5

Strawberries have a TON of liquid when cut.  I do WASC for free cakes and I just use a DH strawberry mix.  I usually just make that for children.  If I'm doing it from scratch I'll use a puree.  You can use dried strawberries or try the puree in your WASC.

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks!  I did a WASC White cake mix with finely chopped strawberries and I thought I strained them enough but the cake looks soggy. Thankfully its just for my daughters bday cake and if it is to soggy to eat we have other layers!!  =-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%