Just Starting...

Business By skyy815 Updated 20 Mar 2013 , 2:39am by Norasmom

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all.  Im just starting to sell cakes and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get my name out there. I have business cards hung in town but was wondering if there was anything else i could do.  Im planning on having a third baby and would like some extra income. My husband wants me to be a stay at home mom once we have another.  Thanks for you time.

6 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 7

AThe marketing strategy we suggest will depen on your market. You don't want to advertise in the penny saver if you are a custom cake artist.

Do I understand correctly that you are not currently pregnant? Are you looking to promote & grow your company short term then be a stay at home mom or for a few years?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 7

AIf you're planning on having a baby soon, you may want to hold off on growing the business until the baby is at least in preschool.

In the short term, what kind of customers are you targeting, and what is your competitive advantage?

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

I would agree with both comments, just take small steps, you don't want to bite off more than you can chew.

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 12:37am
post #5 of 7

I am not yet pregnant.  I live in a very small town and all the cake decorators have retired around here.  I'm not looking to get a big business going, just something that will bring in some extra income.  I figured I can decline a customer if needed since I am by appointment only. Is that bad business? I also have my husband and his family to help me with the kids if needed. I mostly do birthday, anniversary, and graduation cakes. thank you for your responses.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7

If you are looking to do custom kids cakes, you can target the PTO/preschool PTA by handing out info at meetings.  Find a bridal dress boutique and ask if you can bring in samples when they are most busy.  Maybe you can get some wedding/shower orders?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:39am
post #7 of 7

Definitely do a Facebook page with your work on it and friend someone who has a zillion friends on Facebook that are local.  My sister got me 49 "likes' on one day because she's a social butterfly...friends tell friends...word of mouth is very powerful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%