Wedding Cake Filling Help Please!

Baking By Momy2Boys Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 3:04am by Momy2Boys

Momy2Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momy2Boys Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 11

I found the perfect wedding cake filling for my cousin and they tasted it and loved it.  Until I read on here that doing fillings and frostings with cream cheese in them were a bad idea. 

This is the recipe http://cakecentral.com/a/raspberry-mousse-filling. The only thing I was going to change was doing strawberry instead of the raspberry.

they loved this filling and so do I.  The wedding is on the 30th, and I could really really use some help finding something simaler.  The filling had a firm yet fluffy texture.

thank you in advance for your guidance.  I realy don't want to dissapoint them.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 11

it has to be kept refrigerated is all --at or below 40 degrees

you can still use it

it has an accumulated out of the  frige time frame of 4 hours before the bad bacteria start to flourish

that's why cream cheese is considered potentially hazardous because it is ph

and did you test that formula with the strawberries?

how it performs & all?

oh good it's made with jam--good-- i was thinking fresh berries & quietly freaking out

already made jam is better better better

but you still gotta sweat the cream cheese thing

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 11

can't you just keep it well chilled?

Momy2Boys Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 11

I had thought about that but wasn't sure how to make that work.  I'm making a 4 tier cake (6",8",10"'12") and frosting with buttercream.  The wedding is at 3:30 with cake and punch reception there at the church.  I've never refridgeorated a cake before and didn't want to serve a cold cake.  

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11

86 the hazardous fillings then

cake warms up fast

i deliver all my cakes chilled

some peeps do some don't

but you have to for perishable fillings

-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 11

i use mostly perishable filling though too

but it'd still fridge my cakes esp for delivery

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 11

That 4 hour window is critical for potentially hazardous foods.  And its a total of 4 hours.  So count up your decorating time + transport time + the time the cake is on display.  All that time together has to be less than 4 hours.  Then the cake has to be thrown out. 

I always found that after I added in the display time (time between when the cake is set up and later served) the four hour window had been exceeded.  And "chilled" doesn't necessarily do it.  It has to be held at less than 41 degrees.

Momy2Boys Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly.  I do feel that I should find something else since I'm not sure how I would keep it refridgeorated, and I don't want to chance it.  

Does anyone have a recipe that would be ok out of the fridge that has a simaler fluffy but firm texture?  I made almost a 3 hour (round trip) drive yesterday to get some bettercream I whipped it up last night and added the pudding like they suggest but it wasn't thick enough.

Could someone point me in the right direction please.  I really don't want to be a failure at this.

Thank you! :)

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 11

most mousses & stuff like that have to be kept cold

it's not a failure to keep peeps safe--it's a big win for everybody

just tell them you had to adjust the filling recipe and it's still strawberry but safe

this is like the bride who wants a smbc iced cake at a 2pm beach wedding in june

the chance of sand getting in the melted icing is very high

just because someone is getting married and we want to make the best cake ever

we still have to play by the rules or suffer the consequences

it's ok--you did great--figure out the filling you can use that doesn't have to be friged if you don't want to go that route

a mousse is not it

there are sleeve fillings that are shelf stable--you can add lorann oil cream cheese flavoring--

but fluffy and firm--probably not without proper handling which includes the refrigerator

or a ton of recipe testing with ingredients like carageenan and agar agar and who knows what all else

best idea here--go with what you are confident in the b& g will go for that the best too

learn how to refrigerate the cakes or don't use mousse

test it make a tier and mousse it out and time yourself and see if you deliver at the exact point of the reception starting and if the bride will serve cake quickly and not wait till 4 hours after it starts then you got it

i mean if it's a fruity curd or a fruity something i fudge on the time

you cannot fudge on the milky things

if you wanna use that then do the frige thing

if not scrap the whole dang thing and find something you can use

you did GREAT to catch this in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

multiplied congratulations to you--you are to be commended

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 11

hey i got it--make the b&g a honeymoon cake with the special mousse

take it when you deliver the wedding cake

just have it all boxed & ready

a little six inch box----use cake scraps from leveling the wedding cake or use leftover batter

let the person in charge of the reception know that you're bringing it

and it needs to be kept in the chill box and that it goes with b& g  when they make their escape from the reception

cool??? icon_biggrin.gif

Momy2Boys Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:04am
post #11 of 11

Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful advice!  

K8menphis - I went back and looked at some other posts and had decided to try the vanilla bettercream and mix in some of the strawberry jelly to see what would happen.  Then I saw your suggestion and remembered that I had bought the shelf stable cream cheese sleeve.  So mixed it in and it tasted very very simaler to my first recipe.  So Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for that suggestion.  I'm testing the recipe in a cake tonight.

I also love the idea of the honeymoon cake and I'm deffinently going to do that.

i can't thank you wonderful ladies enough!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%