Modeled Figures

Decorating By MrsAlthouse Updated 20 Mar 2013 , 2:54am by Norasmom

MrsAlthouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAlthouse Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new at cake decorating and I love it! However, I have been using plastic figures for my cake toppers because I don't know where to begin to learn how to do that. There are not cake decorating classes in my area. We are pretty rural. Can anyone give me tips?

Is fondant, gum paste or modeling chocolate better?

HELP! :)

3 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 4

I normally just use fondant but sometimes it's too soft so adding some gumpaste is necessary.  I've never used modeling chocolate so I can't advise on that.

CakersbyEggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakersbyEggers Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:40am
post #3 of 4

I am fairly new to and I have used both fondant and modeling chocolate (candy clay). I actually prefer the modeling chocolate because it is easier to work with and more forgiving. You can use the heat of your hands to smooth out bumps, lines, etc. The fondant is more time consuming because you have to do each part and let it dry then add the next part. Also you usually have to add tylose or something to the fondant to get it hard enough, especially if you want your figures to stand. I hope this helps. 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:54am
post #4 of 4

Definitely try all three!  I like them all for different reasons.  Flowers=gumpaste, figures and animals=fondant, and ribbons and bows=candy clay.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%