Edible Ink Printers: Canon Mg5250 Vs. Canon Mg5350 Vs. Canon Ip3600

Decorating By RebeccaBloomwood Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 6:29pm by Tasty FotoArt

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:09am
post #1 of 8

I purchased my Edible Ink printer from the UK, I have a Canon IP3600 and it's usually great, except sometimes, I get these awful track lines or roller marks on the sheets after printing. If not for the track marks, its awesome, colors are great, I've had no problems with clogging even if I haven't used it for more than a week, no smudging issues, prints are clean and clear. The print head is removable so you can easily clean it and there are several cleaning kits available out there so cleaning has never been a problem. Just don't ever use cheap paper, you really get what you paid for, they're awful.

I'm looking for a replacement printer that would not give me the track (roller) mark problems.

I've been browsing online and saw the Canon MG5250 and Canon MG5350, I was just wondering what's the difference? Does anybody have these printers? Do they give any track mark problems? Those annoying track marks have been my source of frustration the whole time I've owned my IP3600. 

I've been browsing through the forums but haven't really found much of an answer regarding these printers.

Any input regarding these Edible Ink Printers would be much appreciated :) TIA! :)

7 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

I have the MG5150 and I get those hairline marks - not really visible unless you are using solid colours, and then you notice them a lot. A friend with the same printer has the same issue. I have tried doing the cleaning, checking out the print head and whatnot, and it still happens. I think you might have the same issue with the MG5250 and 5350 though. Wait and see if anyone with those printers says anything, but if your IP3600 works ok apart from the lines, I wouldn't change it personally.

shellshell085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellshell085 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 1:48am
post #3 of 8

i was about to buy the canon Ip3600,, thinking otherwise now,,, could you tell me the software you use for you images?? cheers

RebeccaBloomwood Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 5:22am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

I have the MG5150 and I get those hairline marks - not really visible unless you are using solid colours, and then you notice them a lot. A friend with the same printer has the same issue. I have tried doing the cleaning, checking out the print head and whatnot, and it still happens. I think you might have the same issue with the MG5250 and 5350 though. Wait and see if anyone with those printers says anything, but if your IP3600 works ok apart from the lines, I wouldn't change it personally.

Thanks for the response, I've also done everything to try and remedy those roller marks, but nope, nothing worked. They're only an issue mostly with frosting sheets and with, like you mentioned, solid colors, specially when you print a black and white image, it looks awful. I've cleaned the print head manually, I've cleaned the rollers, did all the system cleanings available, nothing worked. I think the only way to solve it is to remove the rollers, but then I don't think the printer would work anymore heh.

I really hope somebody with these printers can tell me how the 5250 and 5350 works, I don't want to waste money on something that's essentially the same

RebeccaBloomwood Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 5:38am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshell085 

i was about to buy the canon Ip3600,, thinking otherwise now,,, could you tell me the software you use for you images?? cheers

The Canon IP3600 is great except for those nasty track marks when you're printing out images with solid colors, lets say, a full page picture of somebody's face, you'll notice track marks along the entire length of the page. But I think this also has something to do with climate and humidity, it is extremely humid here in our country and I think it affects the paper. Also, you need to use really good quality paper to avoid the track mark problems. A lot of people who own the IP3600 don't have the track mark problems that I experience, so maybe you won't have problems too if you live in an area where its not too humid and there's good quality paper available.

You might also want to consider that the canon ip3600 is sort of an older model, you might want to purchase the newer ones. 

I hear that Icing Images have great premium papers, I recommend you inquire with them. And I think they also have software that comes with the frosting sheets. I live in Asia so buying from them is not an option, I wouldn't be able to afford the shipping fee. I basically just use Photoshop, MS Word and MS Powerpoint

Goodluck with your purchase! :)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 6:22am
post #6 of 8

I bought an ip3600 because it was cheap, being an older model.  I am a hobby baker and so had no real need for anything fancy.  I do not have any problems with roller marks.  I do a lot of my layout in Publisher before printing.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:37am
post #7 of 8

Not all icing sheets are able to absorb the ink well. If you printer setting are too high, this can cause too much ink going on to the icing sheet to quickly and so when it hits the rollers it is leaving the tracking marks. Make sure your settings are on Matte paper type, but standard print quality. You do not need to set it anything higher as icing sheets are incapable of taking more ink then that and your picture quality will not be any better. Also, go in to your maintenance section. Under other, there is a setting for paper abrasion. Turn it on. This will allow the rollers to open up a little bet and so you will get less tracking marks. It will ask you every time you print if you want the paper abrasion set and so you have to say "ok" every time. I use this as my notification to put the icing sheet in the printer.

Depending on the icing sheet you are using, some icing sheets are prone to becoming too wet and actually the pin feeds will pull small pieces of icing sheet off when the icing sheet is going through the printer. Some icing sheets are worse than others. Sometimes the build up is so bad you have to clean the pin feeds. If you want to learn how to clean them, just PM me.  Some icing sheets are worse then others so some companies actually will sell you contraptions to clean the pin feeds. There are free ways to clean these. We sell two different brands of icing sheets. We stopped selling one because of these types of problems. Our Premium brand doesnt seem to have this problem, Keep in mind if you are having this problem and you switch icing sheets you will have to clean the build up of that is on your rollers. 

Note, the pin feeds are a part of printing. they are needed to pull the icing sheet through the printer. So even on the best icing sheets you will be able to see the pin feed marks at certain angles, but not like the tracking that you are discussing here.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks

Tasty FotoArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasty FotoArt Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 8

You are exactly right.  The humidity plays a big roll in the little track marks.  The little pin wheels are to keep the "paper" from curling while going through the printer.  There are two ways to combat the problem.  One is to let the sheets sit out for a short period when it is humid.  The other way, if you do not want to wait, like if you have 50 to do, position a fan toward the exit of the printer.  That will help dry the ink before it gets to the little wheels.  I know our icing sheets are kept a little moist, as we are in a very dry climate.  The fan, and our ink is fast drying, stops the problem.

Wes,

Tastyfotoart.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%