Spelling Pet Peeves?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by mfeagan

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:02pm
post #241 of 291

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I saw one that made me think of you (hint hint) severing, rather than serving. WOW.  

That makes me think of the picture explaining the difference between "ask" and "axe"!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:49pm
post #242 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I saw one that made me think of you (hint hint) severing, rather than serving. WOW.  

I like my cake served severed like my broken/severed limbs!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:55pm
post #243 of 291

I just want to scream when someone thinks they are spelling the French word "voila" and they type instead "walla."  Now, I totally understand why they do that - but it's just...so...wrong. 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm
post #244 of 291

AOh Crimsicle! I was just thinking about et voila vs walla (or wala) just this morning. I was thinking that I'd add it to this thread when I got home from work.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:53pm
post #245 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

I like my cake served severed like my broken/severed limbs!

What a co-inky-dink <---- another pet peeve! It's coincidence! Dammit! It is mostly a spoken one, but it makes you sound like a complete buffoon.

KarasCoutureCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarasCoutureCakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:59pm
post #246 of 291

This just made me laugh so hard!!!

My biggest one is when food industry "professionals" say and spell is MAR-sca-pone rather than the proper MAS-CAR-pone. They even do it on food network and if you have closed captioning on (my husband is deaf) they spell it improperly. Drives. Me. Nuts.

But I agree with the rest as well... And I worry about our youth when elementary school teacher friends of mine do it. :/

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:09pm
post #247 of 291

Yeah, Kara.  I agree!  It's right up there with the chi-POLE-tay pronunciation of chipotle.  ARRRGH!

CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:11pm
post #248 of 291

Before noon today… (fun!)

of/off, pipping, to/too, bot/both, use/used, us/use, livve, shoud, acess, build/built, its/is, its/it’s, havn’t, youll, wont, cant, dont, wouldnt, this years/this year’s, Ye, Id/I’d, Im/I’m, Ive/I’ve, doesn’t/don’t, Uk, two heavy, nozzel, dummys, crisco, Minnie mouse, satin ice, sandwhich, assmebled, be/by, Nintend, Calla Lilly’s/Calla Lilies, meet/met, have/has, oposit, happens/happened, subjetive, nether/never, eveything, dowl, comprised/compromised, definatly, weeding cake, daughters/daughter’s, insite/insight, just, every/ever, contured, conture, fat daddy, mug/mud, Ok, dreamsiscle, dreamcisle, icicng, may/many, marker/market, petifore, bcause, ect, you/your, krispe, pikichu, recipie, recipies, xustomers, cos, foe/for, accountantcy, lierally.

Should be single words: air brush, show piece, over night, every body, over used, hay stack, cheese cake, what so ever, stand point.

Use “?” after questions!!!!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:59pm
post #249 of 291
A walla/wala originated as a Indian colloquial term for a worker who does a specific job during the British Raj ... 

Walla/wala is a contraction of "I swear to God" in Arabic.

Walla is internet phonetic slang for voilà.
SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:31pm
post #250 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 View Post

its = possessive for it -- as in, the cake is on its own board.  (NO apostrophe!)

it's = contraction for it is and it has.

More common errors:  dowell, buldge, refridgerator,  judgement (although typically British), suprise, thankyou, hevy, exactely, ammount, down payment, straight forward, manufacture (when "manufacturer" is meant), and cause (without an apostrophe, when "because" is meant).

I'm sorry. If you think thank you, one word... you should be smacked!

manddi Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:22pm
post #251 of 291

A

Original message sent by SweetMelissa730

Quote:

Originally Posted by [B][B]CWR41[/B][/B] [COLOR=7384B3][URL=http://t/755756/spelling-pet-peeves/195#post_7374698]View Post [/URL][/COLOR]

its = possessive for [I][I]it[/I][/I] -- as in, the cake is on its own board.  (NO apostrophe!)

it's = contraction for [I][I]it is[/I][/I] and [I][I]it has[/I][/I].

More common errors:  dowell, buldge, refridgerator,  judgement (although typically British), suprise, [B][B]thankyou[/B][/B], hevy, exactely, ammount, down payment, straight forward, manufacture (when "manufacturer" is meant), and cause (without an apostrophe, when "because" is meant).

I'm sorry. If you think thank you, one word... you should be smacked!

CWR41 was pointing out the errors...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:27pm
post #252 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi 
Walla is internet phonetic slang for voilà.

Damned internet. And it isn't phonetic because walla is not the way voilà is pronounced!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:21am
post #253 of 291

A

Original message sent by Crimsicle

Yeah, Kara.  I agree!  It's right up there with the chi-POLE-tay pronunciation of chipotle.  ARRRGH!

A lot of people credit a tv chef named Delia Smith for making balsamic vinegar popular in the UK in the 90s, but to this day I think she still calls it basalmic vinegar which does my nut in.

And I hate when people say marscapone instead or mascarpone. Read people!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:35am
post #254 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

A lot of people credit a tv chef named Delia Smith for making balsamic vinegar popular in the UK in the 90s, but to this day I think she still calls it basalmic vinegar which does my nut in. Yes, she still does... loll, I thought it was only me who ever picked up on that. But then I thought it might be that she has a hard time actually pronouncing it... like some people have trouble pronouncing Specific.... and end up saying Pacific.   Bluehue

And I hate when people say marscapone instead or mascarpone. Read people!
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:58am
post #255 of 291

Ta y'all for this.  Detest it when adults use baby words.  Come on, grow up.

Loathe the abbreviation Y'all.  Is you all even English?  Try all of you, maybe?

Hate it when people use the singular instead of the plural.

God we are a picky lot.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 6:14am
post #256 of 291

I have to say, I am a "Y'aller" lol. It is a Kentucky, and Southern thing. What are y'all doing? Are y'all ready to eat? C'mon, let's go, y'all!

This is pretty much where I live. Just 4 miles up the road. I confess, I didn't "get it" when I moved here, half my life ago, but it is really familiar now ;-)

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 7:30am
post #257 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Ta y'all for this.  Detest it when adults use baby words.  Come on, grow up.

Loathe the abbreviation Y'all.  Is you all even English?  Try all of you, maybe?

Hate it when people use the singular instead of the plural.

God we are a picky lot.

Well good thing you're very far away from the South (and the US for that matter). Honestly I don't think non Southerners get a right for judgement on "y'all.... It's a regional thing..it's not meant to proper or not proper English. I don't think you can understand this as you're not American and not from the South (where Y'all comes from).

CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:23am
post #258 of 291

I noticed these mistakes today (auto-correct errors?  I doubt it!)...

some else/someone else, alot, cook/bake, unpredicatable, alchol, thats, christmas, chocoate, your's, caboard, an fridge, shead, propotions, rom/from, there/their, caked/cake, ahome, brothers/brother's, may/May, hve, overnite, Maybe/maybe, uk, ye, daps/dabs, chunck, im/I'm, ill/I'll, iv/I've, i m/I'm, it s/it's, don t/don't, i ve/I've, that s/that's, italian, than/then, then/than, grooms/groom's, tweek, tweeking, isurance, incase, its/it's, it's/its, it/it's, inorder, elephants/elephant's, skinnish, could'nt, thats, iz, ok, on/own, cyp, nice a sturdy/nice and sturdy, supper/super, trough, eated, porpouse, you/your, your/you're, a Inbox/an Inbox, specially/especially, lot's/lots, to/too, breed/bred, tho, colar, picutre, Yor, of/or, whens/when's, appreicate, advise/advice, a wile, professionnal, Davids, afterwords, hte, definately, definetly, thanks you, who's/whose, construction/constructive, rwo, donde, whole/while, gunna, gonna, budgrt, prioror, walst, frustrared, diner/Dinner, viedo, dustributed, stear, we'll/well, powder/powdered, cause/because, aint.

These are single WORDS... life like, never mind, other wise, tooth pick, some where, over priced, clover leaf, break even, over night, no where, hair lines, over head.

(Am I about to be smacked?)

SweetMelissa730 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:48am
post #259 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

CWR41 was pointing out the errors...

Yes, I know. I'm saying if someone thinks that thank you is actually spelled thankyou, that's really sad.

SweetMelissa730 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:54am
post #260 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

(Am I about to be smacked?)

No, I think your safe! icon_wink.gif

SweetMelissa730 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:00am
post #261 of 291
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I have to say, I am a "Y'aller" lol. It is a Kentucky, and Southern thing. What are y'all doing? Are y'all ready to eat? C'mon, let's go, y'all!

This is pretty much where I live. Just 4 miles up the road. I confess, I didn't "get it" when I moved here, half my life ago, but it is really familiar now ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

Well good thing you're very far away from the South (and the US for that matter). Honestly I don't think non Southerners get a right for judgement on "y'all.... It's a regional thing..it's not meant to proper or not proper English. I don't think you can understand this as you're not American and not from the South (where Y'all comes from).

Yes, y'all is absolutely a southern thing. I can't even tell you how many times a day I hear "y'all" or say it myself. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:01am
post #262 of 291

Cakefat I was not being judgemental.  This thread is about spelling that you hate and that is one that I hate.  I have every right to my opinion, whether I am from there or not.

manddi Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 12:15pm
post #263 of 291

A

Original message sent by SweetMelissa730

Yes, I know. I'm saying if someone thinks that thank you is actually spelled thankyou, that's really sad.

Oooh! Gotcha! <- on a side note, I don't think either one of those "words" are actual words! Let me try that again: Oh! I understand now!

manddi Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 12:20pm
post #264 of 291

AI've said y'all when talking about one person. I live in Louisiana though so it's perfectly acceptable! It does bug me when people spell it wrong. It's a contraction of "you all" so the apostrophe belongs after the "y"; it does not belong after the "a"!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 1:41pm
post #265 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa730 

Yes, y'all is absolutely a southern thing. I can't even tell you how many times a day I hear "y'all" or say it myself. 

I'm comfortable with y'all.  I lived in NJ for 24 years and made sure my kids did NOT pick up the local slang and accent.  When my daughter married, she moved to AL.  Y'all just flows in the south.  What I can't stand is " I'm fix'in to ".  It is like saying " I'm gunna " which got you a little pop in the back of the head in my house - lol

CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 2:58pm
post #266 of 291
Quote:

Well... they're all really sad.

CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 2:58pm
post #267 of 291
Quote:

No, I think your safe! icon_wink.gif

you're

CWR41 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:00pm
post #268 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

What I can't stand is " I'm fix'in to ".

fixin' -- the "g" is missing.  lol

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:46pm
post #269 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

I'm comfortable with y'all.  I lived in NJ for 24 years and made sure my kids did NOT pick up the local slang and accent.  When my daughter married, she moved to AL.  Y'all just flows in the south.  What I can't stand is " I'm fix'in to ".  It is like saying " I'm gunna " which got you a little pop in the back of the head in my house - lol

When I was growing up (Northern UK),  "Giyorr" was totally banned at home, even though we heard it all the time at school

( Give o'er = give over = stop it)

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 6:16pm
post #270 of 291

ASpireite I grew up in Northern England with a Southern English mum, she hated that I picked up the local accent and slang when I started school. Missing words out of sentences was her biggest annoyance, like 'what we having for us tea', or 'I'm going up 't shops'. I tried so hard to lose the accent when I moved to London at 18, then I went and married a guy from Barnsley and I am now doomed to talk right common for life.

Also, I am British, and live in Chicago, and y'all has made it's way into my vocabulary somehow. Hmm. But I also use some Dutch curse words, so at least I'm just keeping it global. My poor kids need a translator when they Skype with their grandparents!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%