Spelling Pet Peeves?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by mfeagan

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:24am
post #181 of 291

More errors from this thread: grammer, usin, over done, Australisns, accomodation, forgedabout, realy, filligree.  (Mozilla firefox would catch all except one - overdone is one word.)

Another thought:  Cake is BAKED in an oven, not COOKED!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:48am
post #182 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

I know you used to use punctuation, but I don't know why/when you decided to stop.  I noticed it after new CC updates, and I almost asked why you were doing it.  Now that we can read by hovering over the most recent post without entering the actual thread, your new posting style is harder to read because it shows up as one long sentence -- the double spacing each sentence doesn't show.  With no punctuation and no paragraph breaks, it's many random thoughts in a run-on sentence.

you just quoted the thread where i explained why i stopped

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:02am
post #183 of 291

I, too, have wondered at your new style of posting. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought as I reckoned (I used to live in Kentucky) it was just a new signature, as it were, of your personality. We can sit here at our keyboards and never really know what is going on behind the monitor. 

I can empathize with your feelings as right now my left wrist is having a terrific flare up with osteoarthritis. I know that is nowhere as severe as rheumatoid can be, but I think it is wonderful that you can accommodate yours like you do.

I recently underwent spinal fusion surgery to relieve severe spinal stenosis due to arthritis. It has allowed me to once again look forward to Spring and gardening. My knees are both replacements. I'm feeling like a bionic woman!

I hope that you find relief from your burden and meanwhile I'll just enjoy your posts and enjoy the unique (not most unique  thumbs_up.gif ) adverbs.

Jan

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:33am
post #184 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

A lot.  Not alot.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Behold, the Alot. 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:56am
post #185 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

More errors from this thread: ... forgedabout, ....

Awwwww... tat wuzzn't an arror, she uszded that diliberately-ly  <missing period>

milkmaid42 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:58am
post #186 of 291

I am having alot of fun with this, but I have to rise early tomorrow and better lay off for the night. What a (an?) hilarious way to end the day! Does that rule still apply?

Jan

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:53am
post #187 of 291

A

Original message sent by milkmaid42

I am having [U]alot[/U] of fun with this, but I have to rise early tomorrow and better lay off for the night. What a (an?) hilarious way to end the day! Does that rule still apply?

Jan

You had it right the 1st time ;)

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:01am
post #188 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

you just quoted the thread where i explained why i stopped

I know.  I didn't ask you why, just commented that I noticed and thought about asking why at the time -- whenever it was.

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:03am
post #189 of 291

I forgot to add:

ok = OK, O.K., or okay.

ect. = etc.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 9:44am
post #190 of 291

Hero: A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

Courage:  The ability to do something that frightens one/Strength in the face of pain or grief.

Not spelling but one of those language pet peeves.  I am so sick to death of hearing about sportspeople being classified as heroes.  This is one of those words that seems to have lost all meaning in the modern world.  Though, I suppose if I think about it, many of them may be frightened about the future and what will happen to their health after all the steroids they have taken.  If they are truly frightened about taking drugs and do it anyway so they can be better is that courage???  And if they go out into the arena when they are already injured is that strength in the face of pain or just plain stupidity.

The world needs some real heroes again.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 10:01am
post #191 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Hero: A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

Courage:  The ability to do something that frightens one/Strength in the face of pain or grief.

Not spelling but one of those language pet peeves.  I am so sick to death of hearing about sportspeople being classified as heroes.  This is one of those words that seems to have lost all meaning in the modern world.  Though, I suppose if I think about it, many of them may be frightened about the future and what will happen to their health after all the steroids they have taken.  If they are truly frightened about taking drugs and do it anyway so they can be better is that courage???  And if they go out into the arena when they are already injured is that strength in the face of pain or just plain stupidity.

The world needs some real heroes again.

I could have written this , as an Aussie you will get my next sentence. 

I have never understood the deification of Shane Warne.   ( please note the 'i' after the 'e' in deification ) .

Chellescakes Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 10:03am
post #192 of 291

Oh and I take steroids on a daily basis , but I am sure that doesn't qualify me as a heroine. icon_twisted.gif

cazza1 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:30pm
post #193 of 291

I don't know about that.  From what I know of your story you fit the word far better than any of these sportspeople

ltsmkcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltsmkcupcakes Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:54pm
post #194 of 291

AI'm a complete grammar nazi, due to my previous career as a sub-editor. Apostrophes are my biggest peeve - the film posters on the London Underground for "Two Weeks Notice" (written that way) made me want to hurl myself on to the tracks.

In UK schools, spelling and grammar have become far less important, as demonstrated by the fact that you can get an A in English Language and Literature GCSEs even if your paper contains spelling and grammatical errors. Ask a teenager the difference between a noun and a proper noun, or to define a preposition or conjunction, and they'll look at you like you're speaking a different language. It's very sad.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 1:48pm
post #195 of 291

two spelling issues/funnies

my dog's name is tianshi--he is a chinese dog and this name means angel

and it often refers to a girl angel but he's ok with it

i can't hardly even remember how to spell it half the time icon_biggrin.gif

i have to look it up ;)

it is pronounced chin shoo so i often spell his name chinchin ;)

the other super funny spelling snafu i still occasionally chuckle about

page 3 starting at post 32

http://cakecentral.com/t/754838/unmanned-venues-who-signs-for-delivery

one of my favorite posts of all time!!!

just belly laughing funny--reaches across the miles

manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:08pm
post #196 of 291

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

two spelling issues/funnies

my dog's name is tianshi--he is a chinese dog and this name means [I]angel[/I]

and it often refers to a girl angel but he's ok with it

i can't hardly even remember how to spell it half the time :D

i have to look it up ;)

it is pronounced [I][SIZE=14px]chin[/SIZE] shoo[/I] so i often spell his name chinchin ;)

the other super funny spelling snafu i still occasionally chuckle about

page 3 starting at post 32

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/t/754838/unmanned-venues-who-signs-for-delivery]http://cakecentral.com/t/754838/unmanned-venues-who-signs-for-delivery[/URL]

one of my favorite posts of all time!!!

just belly laughing funny--reaches across the miles

Holy bat crap batman! That's hysterical!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:12pm
post #197 of 291

LOL! What a typo! Thanks for sharing the thread, K8memphis.

Since we're all bringing up spelling/grammar pet peeves, here's mine:

"I just graduated college."

Really? Are you sure? Because I thought people graduated FROM college. icon_smile.gif

I know I make a myriad of mistakes myself, but that one just bugs me.

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:43pm
post #198 of 291

This is misused too often on this site:

desert = dessert

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:31am
post #199 of 291

My MIL always says, " I told her pacifically, not to do that"  Really......are you kidding me.......the word is specifically!  No matter how many times I correct her she still says it wrong!!

manddi Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:37am
post #200 of 291

A

Original message sent by kisamarie

My MIL always says, " I told her pacifically, not to do that"  Really......are you kidding me.......the word is specifically!  No matter how many times I correct her she still says it wrong!!

My sweet sweet hubby says that... drives me up a wall! Especially since I'm a member of the Walt gang ;)

CWR41 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 1:13am
post #201 of 291

its = possessive for it -- as in, the cake is on its own board.  (NO apostrophe!)

it's = contraction for it is and it has.

More common errors:  dowell, buldge, refridgerator,  judgement (although typically British), suprise, thankyou, hevy, exactely, ammount, down payment, straight forward, manufacture (when "manufacturer" is meant), and cause (without an apostrophe, when "because" is meant).

cazza1 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 2:20am
post #202 of 291

K8 thanks for posting that link.  I missed that discussion.  I'm still chuckling away to myself.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 2:52am
post #203 of 291

Today, my husband had a puffy cheek, so I asked what was in his mouth, and he says, "A lozenger." My  reply was, "Are you effing kidding me?" 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:07am
post #204 of 291

AThere IS one item on the shelf. There ARE several options available.

Getting these mixed up drives me bananas! It's not spelling, but it's obnoxious.

CWR41 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:07pm
post #205 of 291

seperate/seperating = separate/separating (you can remember which spelling is correct by the definition "keeping apart", not keeping apert!)

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 5:38pm
post #206 of 291
My husband and half my co-workers are not native English speakers. There is a big difference between ESL spelling mistakes and pour English spelling/grammar from USA born/raised English speakers. Most of what I spotted discussed here is not ESL but home grown American's who don't pay attention to their spelling.

I will admit that I am dyslexic and have a hard time with spelling but that makes it easier for me to 'spot' my misspellings. I admit that I often will not waste time correcting my spellings on forums if it doesn't have a built in spell checker. If there is a spell checker, then I always use it. If there isn't, then I'm lazy about opening a document to test my spelling for a forum. Facebook has a spell checker. 

While I admit to laughing and agreeing to pretty much everything that was said here, even the ones I know I make myself, what worries me most is the comments about how prevalent this is becoming, especially with the younger generations. I cringe whenever I receive emails/facebook posts from a couple of my step-sibs whose mother was not as conscientious as my own. Many of my teachers would just try to give me passing grades since I 'tried' rather then work with me to overcome my difficulty. My step-sibs spelling/grammar is so horrible I wondered how they stayed employed. At least until the company I work for started hiring some fresh from college 'kids' lately and I see my step-sibs aren't alone in their lack of spelling/grammar.
Chellescakes Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 9:27pm
post #207 of 291

I went to the shops yesterday afternoon , and what should I see but ........... a sign on the cheap shop's door. 

ENTRY THREW NEWSAGENT. I am actually curious where the entry threw the newsagent. He seemed fine as he was standing behind the counter . 

manddi Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 11:29pm
post #208 of 291

A

Original message sent by Chellescakes

I went to the shops yesterday afternoon , and what should I see but ........... a sign on the cheap shop's door. 

ENTRY THREW NEWSAGENT. I am actually curious where the entry threw the newsagent. He seemed fine as he was standing behind the counter . 

Entry has quite a temper! The newsagent must not weigh much... :lol:

No seriously... Oh my...

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 6:05pm
post #209 of 291

I have had such a wonderful time reading all these posts! My MIL always says "breaksfast". I sudder every time I hear that extra "s". And l laugh every time I remember the local news anchor reading "ka shay" instead of "cash" when describing a "cache" of weapons that was discovered.

I look forward to reading more of these fun posts.

milkmaid42 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 8:05pm
post #210 of 291

I was wondering what/where the entry point was through which one was to enter. Poor agent! He must feel pretty miserable by day's end.

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%