Gluten Free Cake?

Baking By Briniga Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 10:19pm by theresaf

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

I was asked to make a 1 tiered cake that is gluten free, Ive never made one before, since its just 1 tier do you think it will be ok and not fall apart? also do you have an good easy GF recipes? thanks

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:04am
post #2 of 5

AIf you want a passable GF cake, any GF mix will work, a single tier should be fine. Taking GF cakes to the next level requires a significant investment in R&D and is probably overkill for what you need.

You will need to make sure you carefully sanitize all your surfaces and equipment (anything porous should be considered permanently contaminated) and follow a strict process for baking, decorating, and storage to make sure there is no cross-contamination with gluten. This includes not taking out or working with any gluten-free ingredients for at least 24 hours after flour has been used in the kitchen. You'll also need to carefully check ingredients to make sure there is no gluten or anything else that may have been contaminated with gluten.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 5

If you really want to make a quality GF cake, you have to invest in several different flours and xanthan gum.  Some of the all purpose GF flours out there will not rise well and have bean flour in them, which will give a bean taste. 

If you want the flour mixture and recipe I use, just PM me.  I bake GF for myself and several of my customers and they love the cake.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 5

If this is a one-time thing, buying all the flours to make the cake from scratch would probably be cost-prohibitive. The Kinnikinnick cake mixes are pretty good, and Betty Crocker even makes decent ones (Amazon). To make it from scratch, check out the Land 'O Lakes website. Their gf  flour mixture recipe is the best I have found, and their gf yellow cake recipe is a treasure. I make the flour mixture in large batches and use it for almost all of my gluten free cakes. This week I used it to convert an orange/poppy seed recipe to gf and got rave reviews from my customer.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 5

The King Arthur Chocolate Cake Mix (GF) is really chocolately and good.  All those mixes make much much less cake than the standard mixes so you should probably buy double! I've bought them in King Kullen and Stop n Shop supermarkets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%