Cake Mix Confusion???

Decorating By biscuiteater Updated 20 Mar 2013 , 12:51pm by Serena4016

biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:46am
post #1 of 9

Hello all!  My husband I are newbie bakers and are seriously addicted to the forums here at Cake Central.  We are confused about something.

We start with cake mixes for our cakes.  We replace the oil in the recipe with butter, add an extra egg, and mix in a jello instant pudding for extra flavor.  We are trying to get concrete price lists for cake layers, and are finding varying information on the 8" round cake layers.  Does a double 8" layer need 1 box of cake mix?  It's pretty much a consensus that a double 10" needs 2 boxes, but the 8" has conflicting opinions...

Thanks for your help!

8 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 4:34am
post #2 of 9

One cake mix will generally fill two 8" round pans, particularly as you're using a modified mix by adding a bit extra to it.  Depending on how high each cake rises, each one may even be high enough to torte, giving you four layers all together.  Depends on the cake itself.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 4:54am
post #3 of 9

I haven't used boxes since they changed to the smaller sizes, but I would say absolutely not! I would add an egg and a pudding, and the cake would never fill more than a 7" set of pans. Now that they are even smaller, there is no chance. But why don't you just try it?

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:03am
post #4 of 9

Ah...see?  You won't get consensus here, either.  icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:08am
post #5 of 9

ATry making an 8" double layer with 1 box and see how it goes. If it's too skimpy, you'll need another box.

biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone!  We figured that there would be differing opinions here as well!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:54am
post #7 of 9

I can tell you now, you will not get 2 8" layers from a box of cake mix, especially since they have reduced  the amt. in  the boxes. You will have to use 2 boxes . adding the pudding will not help to make more batter nor the extra egg. hth

lolarx8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolarx8 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 11:43am
post #8 of 9

When I use box mixes, I also add the extra egg, pudding, etc.... and get (3) 8" rounds with 2 mixes. One mix isn't enough to get the heigth for a 2" deep pan.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 9

I think ALOT of new cakers come on here want thier questions answered easily without having to do any work to figure it out for themselves. I do not mean to offend the poster, it's just that cake baking has so many variables. The same exact cake made by 2 different people can and often does turn out differently!! So alot of times you can not get one specific answer because there simply isn't one. It is just best to do some work and figure out what will work best for you!! Find a cake size chart, find out how many cups of batter you need to make a 2" deep x 8" diameter cake or whatever size you want. Make your cake mix and measure the batter. Keep a chart for yourself of every  different batter you make and how many cups it makes. This way you will know based on your exact recipes how many cake mixes you need to make the cake size you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%