HeathersHeaven Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:26am
post #1 of

I am 2 weeks a way from doing my first local festival. I'm worried about making too many cupcakes and investing a lot of money into to a display and not recouping my investment. Also I have never done a display like this, any advice is very much appreciated. 

 

Background:

The festival is advertising on the radio they are expecting 30,000 people over 3 days. I have chosen 17 flavors to sell, plus several dummy cakes with edible images, and I'm making chocolates I have 8 different kinds of chocolates, plus some for display. Any thoughts? Am I being to ambitious? I'm GUESSING that only about 10% of the people attending will buy cupcakes for about 3000 cupcakes, is that accurate (my booth is in the food tent)? Additionally there is a decent sized fee if you take booth down before the end of the show. I'm worried about running out & I'm worried about have a heck of a lot left over.. icon_surprised.gif

 

I'm also still debating the pricing. I was thinking $2.50 each or 2 for $4. Is this too low?? 

 

Any and All advice is very much appreciated.

30 replies
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 4:05am
post #2 of

AI would advise paring down your product selection quite a bit in terms of both number and variety, something like 500 cupcakes per day in 3-4 flavors. Have you worked out how long it will take you to make 3000 cupcakes, where you will store them, and how you will transport them?

Regarding pricing, how much does each cupcake cost, including ingredients, labor, and allocated overhead (insurance, license fees, etc.)? What is the market price for cupcakes in your area?

Paperfishies Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:42am
post #3 of

I would do basic flavors, vanilla, chocolate, red velvet and then do 2 or 3 specialty flavors.  17 selections for an event is a lot of work. 

VicB213 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:19pm
post #4 of

KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.. (not calling anyone stupid) just using the acronym... If you try and do too much nothing will be your best. Since this is your first event like this you need to make a good showing so choose your best flavors and concentrate on them.

havealittle Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 12:30am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathersHeaven 

I am 2 weeks a way from doing my first local festival. I'm worried about making too many cupcakes and investing a lot of money into to a display and not recouping my investment. Also I have never done a display like this, any advice is very much appreciated. 

 

Background:

The festival is advertising on the radio they are expecting 30,000 people over 3 days. I have chosen 17 flavors to sell, plus several dummy cakes with edible images, and I'm making chocolates I have 8 different kinds of chocolates, plus some for display. Any thoughts? Am I being to ambitious? I'm GUESSING that only about 10% of the people attending will buy cupcakes for about 3000 cupcakes, is that accurate (my booth is in the food tent)? Additionally there is a decent sized fee if you take booth down before the end of the show. I'm worried about running out & I'm worried about have a heck of a lot left over.. icon_surprised.gif

 

I'm also still debating the pricing. I was thinking $2.50 each or 2 for $4. Is this too low?? 

 

Any and All advice is very much appreciated.

 

Just curious if you have selected your menu yet? 

 

Best of luck

HeathersHeaven Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 12:58pm
post #6 of

@havealittle I have. I'm making more flavors than people have suggested I make. My thinking is most have a similar cake base with different frostings. 

 

1. Classic Vanilla with Vanilla buttercream

2. Classic Chocolate with Chocolate buttercream

3. Mocha Latte

4. Caramel Apple with cream cheese frosting

5. Banana split with marshmellow frosting

6. Key Lime with cream cheese frosting (I live in FL)

7. PBnJ with PB buttercream 

8. Peanutbutter Cup 

9. Snowball

10. Cookies n cream

11. Maple Bacon

 

Any suggestions?

HeathersHeaven Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 1:03pm
post #7 of

@ havealittle

 

I have chosen. What do you think? I have also decided to change my pricing a little, $3 each or 2 for $5. It just makes the change easier. And I priced local comeitition and a good average is $3 each.

 

 

Name Cake Frosting Garnish   Vanilla Vanilla & Chocolate Buttercream Camo Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocotale Chocolate Chocolate Buttercream Chocolate Chips Mocha Latte Chocolate Coffee Chocolate Coffee Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean PB&J Vanilla Peanut Butter Buttercream Strawberry Jelly Strawberry Lemonade Strawberry Lemon Strawberry Lemon Buttercream   Maple Bacon Vanilla Maple Buttercream Bacon Cookies -n- Cream Vanilla with Oreo's Vanilla Crushed Oreo's Key Lime Key Lime Key Lime Creamcheese Graham Crackers Snowball Chocolate Marshmellow Coconut Banana Split Banana Vanilla Marshmellow Chocolate Drizzle & a Cherry Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Peanut Butter Buttercream Mini Peanut Butter Cup Caramel Apple Apple Cinnamon Creamcheese Caramel Drizzle

Jasmine33 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 8:01pm
post #8 of

How did it go?

cupncakes35 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 8:49pm
post #9 of

Yes how did it go. I'm doing my first event as well and I really like how you made the chart of the cupcakes, flavor and frosting.

HeathersHeaven Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 4:25pm

It sucked REALLY REALLY bad.. For the amount of attendees I did alright just no people came. There were 2 competing events the same time locally & 1 was the exact same market. The flavor that sole the best was Triple Chocolate. It was Chocolate cake with Chocolate Frosting & chocolate ganache sauce drizzled. I also did a "Decorate your cupcake" with Classic Vanilla cupcakes the kids really enjoyed that. I did not limit the decorations to just the vanilla though some did put sprinkles & cherries on the chocolate also. Thanks for asking.

 

@cupncakes35 I hope your event is better attended than mine was.
 

HeathersHeaven Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 4:28pm

The 2nd best seller was Peanut Butter Cup..

Jasmine33 Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 4:45pm

I am sorry to hear it did not go well!

 

How many people were at the event?

 

Do you have any pics?

 

How did you set up the "decorate your own"?

 

Did you take directions? Just on toppings?

 

I may be selling at a local farmers market in a few months and am looking for ideas.

 

Thanks!

Jasmine33 Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm

Did you bring 3,000 cupcakes? How many did you sell?

havealittle Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 5:36pm

Wow....sorry to hear....I have my festival on Saturday. I am having 6 cupcake flavors, 2 muffins, 3 cookies and then some quick breads. I am only going to bring 300 items total. (last year I did a festival and brought WAY to much product)  I have been back and forth on the menu, but yesterday I cut it back....this is a first year for this festival and although they are advertising heavily I just don't want to end up with a ton of leftovers. The higher volume items are cookies, because at my last festival we sold out of them...but everything else is bare numbers. I will post pictures and give everyone an update either Sunday or Monday. 

 

Good luck to everyone and don't give up.....take down some lesson notes and go back at it! :-)

 

Lisa

havealittle Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 5:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathersHeaven 

@ havealittle

 

I have chosen. What do you think? I have also decided to change my pricing a little, $3 each or 2 for $5. It just makes the change easier. And I priced local comeitition and a good average is $3 each.

 

 

Name Cake Frosting Garnish   Vanilla Vanilla & Chocolate Buttercream Camo Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocotale Chocolate Chocolate Buttercream Chocolate Chips Mocha Latte Chocolate Coffee Chocolate Coffee Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean PB&J Vanilla Peanut Butter Buttercream Strawberry Jelly Strawberry Lemonade Strawberry Lemon Strawberry Lemon Buttercream   Maple Bacon Vanilla Maple Buttercream Bacon Cookies -n- Cream Vanilla with Oreo's Vanilla Crushed Oreo's Key Lime Key Lime Key Lime Creamcheese Graham Crackers Snowball Chocolate Marshmellow Coconut Banana Split Banana Vanilla Marshmellow Chocolate Drizzle & a Cherry Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Peanut Butter Buttercream Mini Peanut Butter Cup Caramel Apple Apple Cinnamon Creamcheese Caramel Drizzle

 

 

I love your menu too!!! :-) At last year festival I brought with me 12 flavors....this time around I am bringing my top 6 flavors....

Jasmine33 Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 6:17pm

Lisa

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes, how much you brought, how much you sold, etc.
 

havealittle Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:38am

Hi everyone!

We had our festival yesterday....not sure of the number of folks that were there....but there was 100 vendors; 2 of which who also had baked good. But I did ask the coordinators before hand, to see what they would be selling, so I wouldn't duplicate.

I brought with me; 110 cupcakes (6 flavors), 100 cookies (3 flavors), 30 loaves of quick breads (4 flavors), 40 brownies, 25 hand apple pies. We sold out of 3 flavors of cupcakes, all the cookies and brownies, 2 flavors of the quick breads. Overall it was a good event for us. But I think what helped us was that I had my husband out front giving out free samples and that brought the people to us. Also we were down by the BBQ and etc vendors, so at lunch time they walked right by us when returning to the festival from eating.

Lessons Learned: Cookies sale REALLY...REALLY well. So the next event I will do more cookies, I will keep the ratio of cupcakes, because I only came home with 15 cupcakes. I think during the summer months I won't do a wide variety of quick breads....beginning to think those are better for the late summer and fall events. Also with about 30 minutes left...I slashed my prices...I don't have have a brick and motar store, so I would rather sale to recoup at least the ingredients....then bring home and give away to friends and family. I didn't have a ton left over at that time...but still enought that I didn't want to pack back up. LOL...some of the people that caught the sale were returning for more...so that worked for me!

The biggest plus was that we have already received 10 new likes on facebook and I have received 2 emails requesting ordering information! :-) So it was a good day for us!

Best of Luck to all!

Lisa

Annie70 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:03pm

havealittle hope you don't mind sharing some more information.  I have an event coming up and wondering what to bring too.  What 3 flavor cookies did you bring and which was the best seller??  Also you said brownies sold out where the just a standard recipe??  Also what quick bread did you sell out of?  Thanks.

Jasmine33 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:07pm

I am so glad it went well for you! Thats awesome!

 

Thanks for sharing info! I will hopefully soon be selling at a farmers market so I am gathering info.

 

Did you mind posting pics of what you brought?

 

What did you charge?
 

Hoe much were prices slashed at the end?

 

Thanks!

IAmPamCakes Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:21pm

AThanks for sharing. I'm working out my products for my seasonal market now. There are some interesting tips here.

cakediva032 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:12am

AHi Everyone, hoping for some advice... I am starting my market soon too :) Do you suggest standard size cupcakes or jumbo? :)

Thank you!!

IAmPamCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:16am

AI think I will go with regular size and maybe some minis. Jumbo seem too big if someone wants to eat while walking around.

cakediva032 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:23am

AI started with jumbo at flea market at 2.00 a piece... Turns out I really low balled it, even our local Weiss charges 2.50 for standard size gourmet.. Thinking of doing standard when I begin farmers market, thanks!

havealittle Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:21am

Annie70:

The 3 cookies I brought were: Bacon and Chocolate, Double Chocolate Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Oatmeal. The first to sale out was the Bacon and Chocolate.

For Brownies: I used a regular brownie with walnuts and topped with a frosting.

Quick Bread: Zucchini Blueberry and banana nut sold out. I had regular zucchini and a spicy sweet banana apple.

havealittle Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:25am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33 View Post

I am so glad it went well for you! Thats awesome!

 

Thanks for sharing info! I will hopefully soon be selling at a farmers market so I am gathering info.

 

Did you mind posting pics of what you brought?

 

What did you charge?
 

Hoe much were prices slashed at the end?

 

Thanks!

 

I don't have any pictures right now...they are on my facebook page....I will have to do later this week.

I charged $2.00 for cupcakes, 2.50 for hand pies, 75cents for brownies, $1.25 for two cookies, and $4-$6 for the quick breads.

I know it was a little under...but this was an Earth day festival and so I took into account that....and lowered just a bit....

For the last 30 minutes I slashed to half off....I just wanted it gone....and I didn't have a whole lot left at that moment...and I just wanted to clear it out. I don't have a storefront....so I can't bring it back.

I put all my products under the tent in 3 drawer plastic containers I found at walmart....and then I had the display items out on the table. That way the people knew that there product that they were buying was not in the sun.

This is my second festival...so I am learning still.... good luck!

havealittle Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:27am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakediva032 View Post

Hi Everyone, hoping for some advice... I am starting my market soon too icon_smile.gif Do you suggest standard size cupcakes or jumbo? icon_smile.gif

Thank you!!

 

I agree with the others...I wouldn't do Jumbo....I would stick with regular or mini's....the best sellers are the easy to hold items. Now I did have people return and buy larger amounts to take home with them! :-)

Jasmine33 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 4:55pm

havealittle

Thanks for all the info!!

Annie70 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:07pm

havealittle thanks for the info!!!  My market starts on the 18th of May but want to get a menu together.  Again thanks!!

Annie70 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:25pm

Does anyone have a good idea on  how the wrap their quick breads?? 

IAmPamCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:41pm

AI have mini loaf pans, and will bake my quick breads in those with liners. Then I will either use my cello bags or boxes. Probably bags since they're cheaper. Tied with my brand colored bakers twine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%