Help With This Modern Ruffle Type Cake!

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 3:27pm by Annabakescakes

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 11

So, I'm looking at this cake trying to figure out the best route to take... My cake will be a 3 tier stacked, 10/8/6 covered in fondant.  I planned to basically take wide pieces of fondant mixed with tylose and start from the top to wrap around.  I think the hardest part will keeping that shape along the edges.  Has anyone ever made something like this?  Is there another way to do this one? 

10 replies
Rodriguez-km Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:58am
post #3 of 11

i believe that you would have to carve it to get the same look

maybe do a 9x8x7x6 and carve off the difference

boy that blue one in the link is pretty too

and i think the fondant + tylose or cornstarch is the way to go imo

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:17am
post #4 of 11

That's a Charm City cake:

http://charmcitycakeswest.com/blog/

Its near the bottom of the page.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:29am
post #5 of 11

I'm with K8Memphis - I'm not sure you want a 2" difference in the sizes of your tiers - that might be too much of a difference.   I think you could do a pretty good job with tiers with a 1" size difference though. 9-8-7"  - and you might be able to get away without a whole lot of carving that way.   And definitely the fondant + tylose! Good luck - can't wait to see your interpretation!

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:13am
post #6 of 11

I don't think you have to carve it, you can see on the left where the 3 tiers start. I'd use a 6/7/8 and a lot of fondant.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 11

If I made this, I would use a 6,7,8,9,10,11 single layer cakes, (with the boards between the 7 and 8, and the 9 and 10, ) and carve it into a cone-like shape. 

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for your suggestions!  Now that I'm looking at the cake, definitely do not want a 2" difference or to carve too much.  1" difference sounds more like it and I need it to get close to 74 servings so 9/8/7 looks like the way to go.  I can't even imagine having to "undress" my wedding cake before cutting it but hey its what they want!   This is a order for the end of April so I'll definitely post a photo when its completed!  icon_biggrin.gif

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

I can't even imagine having to "undress" my wedding cake before cutting it

Maybe have a trial with modeling choc that way it wouldn't need to be undressed and would taste great! ....my fear would be that it'd take too much support before it set again after getting soft from working it.... but it might be an idea :-) plus it's easier to hide seams in modeling choc than fondant with tylose; so you can place your ruffles in shorter, more manageable sections..... I'd trial that firs then go with fondant or GP if that was a failure :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 11

upon further reflecion

to get this same proportion you need a cake that would be about 15 inches tall

from about a 9 on the bottom to a 6 on top

then the ruffles make it taller and wider looking

but the 15 inches tall is important

so i'd definitely use some serious suppport into some foam under the bottom board

and keep it out of the breeze!!!

can't wait for pictures!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Maybe have a trial with modeling choc that way it wouldn't need to be undressed and would taste great! ....my fear would be that it'd take too much support before it set again after getting soft from working it.... but it might be an idea :-) plus it's easier to hide seams in modeling choc than fondant with tylose; so you can place your ruffles in shorter, more manageable sections..... I'd trial that firs then go with fondant or GP if that was a failure :-)

You could always spray it with "keyboard cleaner" to freeze it... hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%