Freezing Cakes...

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 3:53pm by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I had read somewhere on the internet that you can leave a set cake in a fridge ready to be picked up and that before you layer a cake its a good idea to freeze a cake for about 10 mins in the freezer, however, the lady that i get my cake supplies from says its the worst thing to do because it dries out the cake...

whats right and whats not?

thank you

4 replies
tootskds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootskds Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 5

You can absolutely freeze them before icing and as long as you crumb coat them first so they will not dry out...make sure you crumb coat them well though so no air can get to the cake...I am not sure about the freezing for 10 minutes prior to pick up...maybe for stability for the trip home? 

I think that would depend on the car/time of year/how far you are traveling...etc...just my thoughts..

Karen

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

Because of the different humidity levels in refrigerators and freezers, it is better to freeze.  The moisture inside the cake (and all other baked goods too) will freeze in the freezer, and as the product thaws, it stays moist.  Because all that frozen moisture just gets, well moist again.

A refrigerator accelerates the staling process as moisture travels out of the cake into the fridge's air in an attempt to equalize the humidity.  Some large bakeries can control the humidity in their commercial fridge, and then its not a problem.

chocaholikk Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootskds 

You can absolutely freeze them before icing and as long as you crumb coat them first so they will not dry out...make sure you crumb coat them well though so no air can get to the cake...I am not sure about the freezing for 10 minutes prior to pick up...maybe for stability for the trip home? 

I think that would depend on the car/time of year/how far you are traveling...etc...just my thoughts..

Karen

Hi Karen.

I meant that once a cake is ready, rather than leave it out (if its hot) i can put it in the fridge.

Freezing prior to layering and crumbcoating will be less crumbly when cutting apparently...i havent tried this..

chocaholikk Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Because of the different humidity levels in refrigerators and freezers, it is better to freeze.  The moisture inside the cake (and all other baked goods too) will freeze in the freezer, and as the product thaws, it stays moist.  Because all that frozen moisture just gets, well moist again.

A refrigerator accelerates the staling process as moisture travels out of the cake into the fridge's air in an attempt to equalize the humidity.  Some large bakeries can control the humidity in their commercial fridge, and then its not a problem.

makes sense...thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%