??? Is It Buttercream Or Fondant??

Decorating By majormichel Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm by cakeyouverymuch

majormichel Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:09am
post #1 of 10


A potential customer wants this cake. Is it iced in buttercream or fondant? I am assuming it iced in fondant with fondant tweets/small sticks. I could be wrong. Your thoughts? Can this be done in all buttercream?

9 replies
denetteb Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:21am
post #2 of 10

Not sure how the pic was made but looks like you could do a pretty similar look with buttercream, maybe rounding the top edge of the cakes to round them, then doing the random squiggles with a round tip.

lynne7583 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:25am
post #3 of 10

Could be both. I would say iced in buttercream with fondant lines. Or buttercream and buttercream piping. 

savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 10

Looks like fondant bc of the rounded tops, with RI piping?

meriem Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 10

ALooks like fondant to me..

Godot Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 10

 RF with piping.


Reminds me of some sci-fi horror film.

meriem Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 10

AWhat's rf?

Godot Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 10

Rolled fondant

meriem Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 10

AOh ok thanks :) so normal fondant... That's what I thought

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 10

The rounded shoulders of each tier suggest fondant, though it could be done in buttercream, but the raised lines can be either.  A piped line would be easier, and the breaks in the line suggest piping.  Fondant lines would require at least three hands, two to use the extruder and apply the lines to the cake and one to turn the cake on a turntable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%