What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By Blueridgebuttercream Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 11:18pm by lynne7583

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

Out of curiosity, what would you charge for this cake design (if it were you making it correctly, without my errors)?

My second real wedding cake.  All tiers have RLB's silk meringue buttercream under MMF.  6" top tier was lemon ginger cake with lemon SMBC filling; 9" second tier was pumpkin spice cake with maple SMBC filling; 12" base tier was chocolate cake with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream filling.  Royal icing piping on second tier and gumpaste peonies, blue and white daisies, fantasy flowers, gold buds, and pink roses.  For Cake Club to review.

Cake is 6" lemon ginger with lemon SMBC, 9" pumpkin spice with Maple SMBC, 12" chocolate with chocolate SMBC, all covered with silk meringue buttercream under the MMF. 

Please note, I'm not asking what I should charge, or how to figure pricing.  This cake was a wedding present, so I didn't bother to figure out my costs for it.  I'm just curious what a real professional would have charged for this, especially if you serve the urban DC/Maryland market.  Thanks!

7 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 8

A lot.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 8

Previous post was not helpful, I realize, but a cake like that would be about $875.00.   The beautiful flowers must have taken forever!!  I will add, though, I see a few small imperfections in the gold band and when people pay a lot for cakes it's about perfection.  I don't do weddings...I can't handle the pressure.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

I will add, though, I see a few small imperfections in the gold band and when people pay a lot for cakes it's about perfection.  

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the second post Norasmom - that was all I really wanted to know to satisfy my curiosity of what my friend would have paid for a similar cake if she had had to buy one.

Well, DeliciousDesserts, I thought my adding "if it were you making it correctly, without my errors" would make it clear enough that I am well aware of my failure with this cake and make it unnecessary for anyone to belabor the point.  Obviously not.  I know a normal bride would have hated my work if she'd had to pay for it, but hey, it was free so my friend was happy with it.  Knowing my limited skills, I wouldn't have made it even for free for someone who cared about perfection.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 8

AWhoa.

If you recall, I gave you several kudos for this cake when you put it up for review.

I doubt very seriously anyone would have hated it. I am certain the person who received it as a gift loved it. If not, shame on her!

However, a bride who paid over $800 (as someone earlier quoted) might be a bit disappointed.

You may notice I quoted someone previous to me. The point was that it is hard to offer a suggestion of price because it is one of your early works.

You are doing exactly what you should be doing. You are gifting your hard work and talent until you perfect it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

In Richmond VA that cake would be around $600-650. In northern VA the price would be higher.

lynne7583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynne7583 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 8

Around $700ish only because of the slight imperfection. Its still a beautiful cake! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%