Splat Goes The Cake. Sigh.

Decorating By scrumdiddlycakes Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 12:07am by RedInLove

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 14

I just got home from dropping of today's first wedding cake. ugggggggh.

I get to the reception venue, and the mother of the bride was there to meet me, she showed me where to set up and paid me. Everything went great, she loved the cake, etc etc.

I'm just leaving and I hear this weird grunt noise, followed by a small scream and a bang/splat noise.

I run back in and here she is on the ground, with the cake board in her hands, and the top of the cake smashed onto the floor.

Apparently she decided it would look better on the other side of the room, tried to pick up the whole cake, not realizing how heavy it was, tripped on her high heels and went on down.

It was a 5 tier cake, and the bottom two were salvageable, as long as nobody looks at the back. ugh.

Stole one of the flower arrangements off the entrance table and did a quickie cover up job on the top.

I felt so bad, not my fault, but I still felt like I was ripping her off walking out with the cheque, with staff cleaning up dead cake and a the MOB trying to get buttercream off her dress.

I think I need a stiff drink to calm my nerves before my next set of deliveries! The poor woman, not sure what possessed her to try and move it, she saw that my husband had to help me carry it in, when it wasn't even fully assembled.

13 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 14

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!   That is a utter and complete nightmare!  What an idiot...and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word...Why oh way would she, in any way, shape or form, think it was oK to pick up a 5 tier cake???????? smh  ESPECIALLY when you were still there and could have helped, along with the venue staff.  Just thank goodness it wasn't your fault!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 14

A

Original message sent by BeesKnees578

Just thank goodness it wasn't your fault!

Hope you have a photo. Hope you don't need it! Still hope you have one just on case.

This was no your fault. You did your best to repair the situation. You earned every penny. So sad for the bride.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:14am
post #4 of 14

Holy cow! Don't feel bad about taking the check, you delivered what was ordered, but really...WHY would someone try to pick up a big cake like that? She's probably been watching them throw dummy cakes around on tv shows like they're real cakes, and she just didn't know how heavy a five-tier cake is. yikes!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:21am
post #5 of 14

If nothing else it will give the family something to talk about for years to come and eventually, hopefully, laugh about.  My darling Nanna ate so much that she undid the zip on her skirt and then forgot to do it up.  When she was in the middle of a dance the skirt fell off and this poor old 70 year old was left standing in her knickers.  People were mortified.  I still smile every time I think about it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:47am
post #6 of 14

Oh no! Yes, don't feel bad about taking the money. If you'd made it out quicker, you wouldn't have been there to help at all.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 2:30am
post #7 of 14

Ugh! I bet the bride was PISSED!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:26am
post #8 of 14

So glad it had nothing to do with you, worried when I read the title of the thread.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:48am
post #9 of 14

It is a good thing you were still there otherwise you could have been blamed!

SweetBakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBakeCakes Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:55am
post #10 of 14

I couldn't imagine!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:57am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker 

It is a good thing you were still there otherwise you could have been blamed!

Yep, something about "the decorator didn't set up properly." icon_rolleyes.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:19am
post #12 of 14

I got a picture of it when it was properly set up, I almost whipped out my phone when I saw her on the ground with it, but figured that was a touch insensitive :P

I'm very glad I wasn't gone yet, she doesn't seem the sort to cause problems, but you just never know these days!

lynne7583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynne7583 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:34am
post #13 of 14

Im glad she didnt try too blame you. The only reason I would have been flustered is because of my hard work down the drain and potentially loss of a customer/s since her guests wont be able too see your completed work. I wonder what the guests thought. 

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 12:07am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

What an idiot...and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word...

Yeah, you're way nicer than me. My reaction was uncensored name calling.

This MOB has no excuse for what she did. There's no talking yourself out of that hole! I feel for the bride! I'm also glad for your (the OP) sake that you not only had a good picture of your successful completed set up, but that you witnessed it.

Now go deposit that check right quick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%