How Do I Get Really Lustrous Gold Effects?

Decorating By venuscakes Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 3:20am by kikiandkyle

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:35am
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I have a question about the above. I generally use gold lustre dust mixed with rejuevenator spirit which gives a nice gold effect. However I have seen some cakes with the most amazing gold finish. This does not look like gold leaf for example but rather something which is painted on.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this?

Many thanks

Amanda xx

5 replies
Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 6

I have mixed gold lustre dust with VODKA with good results.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 6

When I need a real gold or silver look, I tint my fondant yellow/gold or gray - depending on which metallic I need.  Then use a vodka paint with the luster dusts.  Let dry and keep painting in layers til you get where you need to be.

BUT I agree with you...I have seen some GOLD SHINY GOLD, like chrome,  but gold....Mine doesn't look like that when done?

I would like to know what they use as well.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 6

i would love to know if airbrushing with gold works well. 

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

i would love to know if airbrushing with gold works well. 

I luster almost all of my cakes now all over with an airbrush.  I just really think it gives them that "take-it-up-a notch" look.  I mix it with cheap 151 and crystal colors gold, antique gold, or silver dust - the amount of dust depends on how lustery I want it to look.  I am careful if the cake is black fondant, as too much will really change the look of it - from pewter to charcoal - and gold and silver will make the black look like two different animals - think carcoal and almost bronze.  I do thin coats and coat as often as necessary to get the look it want.  Concentrating on ribbons, etc.  The antique gold over brown would look amazing, now that I think about it...

I'm pretty sure that besides a clay extruder, my airbrush is my most favorite decorating tool!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 3:20am
post #6 of 6

I just saw something in Facebook about painting on gold airbrush color, with a brush instead of airbrush. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%