Smooth Royal Icing

Decorating By LindaG74 Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 10:59am by cazza1

LindaG74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaG74 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 9:40am
post #1 of 3

I have a upcoming order - making cake pops and cookies with Royal Icing.

How do I get my RI smooth as not to clot up my very fine writing nozzle? I get so frustrated when it happens. I have no issues with the flooding of the cookies. Using a bigger nozzle results in a thicker line.

I use egg white and not Actiwhite, but will have to for this order as it is for a babyshower - preggie mom should be able to eat everything.

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 10:00am
post #2 of 3

Make up your royal icing and put it in a brand new stocking. Squeeze it out into a clean bowl and any lumps or not so fine sugar will stay behind in the stocking. Also, if you are using Wilton icing tips, you may want to change to the PME brand.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 10:59am
post #3 of 3

Also make sure that you sift your icing sugar through a very fine sieve before you start.  This will help your icing dissolve in the egg white better.  It is tiny lumps of undissolved icing sugar that clogs your fine tips.  Another thing to do is check that your icing tips are perfectly clear before you start.  I find boiling water is great for dissolving any stubborn bits of icing from inside the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%