How Do I Use Edible Images As A Cut-Out Design?

Decorating By mbranko24 Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 5:39pm by flourgrl

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 11

AHi there! I recently bought a cutter set from Flour Confections, their Starburst cutter set, and am planning on re- creating the cske they did a tutorial on in their blog for DH's birthday thus weekend. On Monday I tries using Lucks edible images for the first time, glued with water onto a strip of gumpaste CBS then using the cutters to cut out the triangles for the flower, as shown in the tutorial.

Unfortunately, when I went to cut the shapes, the edible image would crack in the corners of the triangles. :( I had to rush order more sheets, as most were ruined,

Has anyone here used edible images on GP or fondant and cut it out with a cutter and had success with no breakage? I dim wondering if my GP is too thick (I don't have a pasta machine to roll it, but did roll it pretty thin).

Thanks for any advice or help, I appreciate it.

Erin

10 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 11

AImpossible. Instead, I use an exacto knife or scissors to cut the image. Otherwise, as you know they crack. I have never had success using cutters on them.

mbranko24 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 11

AI know!!!! The tutorial has them cutting it, no problems. I thought it was me or maybe old images? I ordered from an EBay seller, so who knows? I have never used them before.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 11

It's probably not the paper, I think the cutters are not sharp enough.

I first cut the image with an exacto knife or scissors, then lightly wet a larger piece of gumpaste. Rub the water on the surface with your finger or a brush until it is tacky but not really wet or the image will dissolve or smear. Lay your image onto the tacky gumpaste and lightly rub it or go over it with a roling pin to glue it down. Carefully cut around the image with your exacto knife. Rub the cut edge of the gumpaste with your finger to soften the sharp edge.

Thats how I do it, I hope this helps you.

mbranko24 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:39am
post #5 of 11

AThanks Doramoreno62! I have a few other sheets I can latest your method out on. Hopefully I can post pics when done :)

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 11

One more thing, I'm not putting down Luck's at all especially since I've never used their sheets but I use the ones from Icing Images. They are always very pliable and flexable and don't dry as soon as you take them out of the package. Just thought I'd mention that.

And yes, please post pics when done!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 11

AI use the electronic cutter sheets from Icing Images. Like those much better.

khreative Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khreative Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 11

I recently discovered how fun using scrap booking punches can be for cake decorating.  My first impulse was to buy edible image paper, and I had the same problem with lots of cracking.  I swapped to wafer paper as it's much more pliable, and since I have to do all of this onto buttercream it's not sogging into the cake either.

mbranko24 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys! I wanted a nice design to use on the flower, so that is why i purchased the Lucks images. They ahve so many prettu designs, and I didn't think the other companies had nice patterns. Unfortunately, I'm just a hobby baker and don't own a Edible Image printer to print my own.

here is the tutorial I am talking about:

http://flourconfections.blogspot.com/2012/11/starburst-cake-design-tutorial.html

I tried the suggestion about cutting the gumpaste shape first then attaching the image and cutting the excess off. It worked slightly better, i also flipped the GP over and that helped with the image sheet facing down.

I'm now just wondering if my sheets were bad to begin with :(

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 11

AI've cut them on fondant with cookie cutters. I brushed water on the fondant, applied the paper, then cut with cookie cutter. Maybe try covering the gum paste/image with Saran and letting it sit for a few min to soften the image paper.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 11

Hi mbranko24

I just saw this post ..... a few tips which may help next time - some of mine had slight tears in corners as well, but upon assembly of the flower it was not noticeable...

possibly the gumpaste was left to dry for too long thus making it difficult to cut through cleanly - too soft/wet and it can stick, too dry/firm and it can crack

make sure the cutters are wiped with a lightly damp cloth in between ever few cuts to ensure a clean cut - crusty edges will make it difficult to cut cleanly

make sure you cut straight down, not angled, and wiggle a bit (like scratching a lotto ticket motion) directly on counter/surface to ensure piece is cut free

the thinner the gumpaste, the easier it will be to cut cleanly

I see someone suggested, which I would have as well, to flip over and cut with pattern side down - that may work better for some

make sure your edible images, no matter what brand, are nice and flexible prior to use and stored properly so they dont dry out and crack

Hope that helps = feel free to message me if you have any further questions icon_biggrin.gif and please post pics of your completed project - would love to see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%