Techniquie For Rough-Looking Fondant...

Decorating By MasterPiecesCakeArt Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 1:43am by Annabakescakes

MasterPiecesCakeArt Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:30am
post #1 of 7

Hello, can anyone tell me what technique is used to get the "rough" look on the ball as well as the bottom tier of this cake?  I'm thinking you simply chop the fondant, then apply it to the cake.  Am I on the right track?


Thank You!




6 replies
denetteb Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 7

Looks to me like it is piped on.  I can't get it big enough and clear enough to tell much more.  The top looks like maybe a drop flower tip but made to stand out, not against the cake, the bottom I can't tell.  More like lots of random swirls/piles of icing from a round tip.  Just my guess though.

MasterPiecesCakeArt Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 7

I tried enlarging the image, too. I've asked the customer for the original link to the photo.  We'll see if that helps.  Thanks for your reply!

cakecraving Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 7

I agree it looks to be piped on instead of fondant. Good Luck :)

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 7

If you do a googel image search with the picture you can find one that's a tiny bit bigger.

the top is covered in cut-out fondant flowers, and the bottom is tiny fondant ruffles. You could pipe buttercream to get a similar effect on the bottom.

MasterPiecesCakeArt Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:23am
post #6 of 7

That is good to know -- I didn't know you could search for an image on Google.  That will save me a whole lot of time in the future.  Thank You!

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:43am
post #7 of 7

The ball looks like it is flowers, but the bottom is too small to see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%