Very New And Need Some Help

Decorating By Beckym83 Updated 13 Mar 2013 , 1:15am by cazza1

Beckym83 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 5

I am about to embark on my first fondant cake for my daughter's 1st birthday party on Saturday. I only have experience baking cakes from scratch and decorating with icing using tips. But I really want to expand on my creations. I just received a shipment of 5lbs on fondant, a roller, and smoother. I'm looking to make a sheet cake, which is getting me a little confused now. Any suggestions on what size pan would be best and what recipe should I follow? I included a picture of what I have in mind. Any and all suggestions are welcome. (Not planning on including the girl.)

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 5

bake & freeze a 9x13 sheet cake and make a full size pattern that will fit in the pan in the shape of the 'one'

put the pattern on top of the frozen cake and carve it into the shape you want

ice it with buttercream and/or ganache and apply the fondant

the board is covered with fondant too

make sure the board is not flexible at all

trim the edge of the board with ribbon

write her name as you want it on the cake--put parchment or waxed paper over it

roll sausages of fondant to place on the lettering to spell out her name

to get the sausages the same size--roll them between two dowel the same size you want the sausages to be

make a coupla flowers, the bow and the trim piece for the border

viola la la

Beckym83 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your help, K8Memphis. All wonderful tips I will keep in mind. But what I need to know right now is about the recipe for the cake. And do you think 1 cake in a 9x13 pan is enough, or do I need to make 2 to layer them? Or do I cut 1 cake in half? 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 12:15am
post #4 of 5

i love sylvia weinstocks yellow cake--it comes out white enough to be white cake

i accidently have used 2.5 cups of flour for a long time instead of how it's written for 2.25 cups of flour icon_biggrin.gif

and i usually delete a coupla egg yolks and i just add the eggs into the well creamed sugar/butter mixture--i don't whip the egg whites separately

if you want chocolate this is one of the killerest choco cakes evah

colette's choco cake mmmm's-Chocolate-Cake/28300/

as far as size that's all up to you--how many guests will you have?

i would not make the 9x13 into a two layer that becomes 9 x 6.5 because it will be too fat to look like a 'one'

but any other combination is great go for it

if i was making that cake i'd make a one layer 9x13

cazza1 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

To make your little girl add some tylose to some of your gumpaste to make it stiffer. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%