Hat Box Cake - Removable Lid?

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 12 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm by frkst

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:17am
post #1 of 5

Making a cake for my boss' wife's birthday. He wants to buy her a diamond necklace and put it inside the cake. So I showed him the hat box cake and he liked he idea. So now, how to I make it so that He can take the lid off the cake? I was thinking for the top layer of cake to cut out like a 5" circle or the size of a square jewelry box and covering that in fondant so there's a spot for the necklace. Then making the lid out of 2 or 3 cake circles cover the top in fondant then take thick gumpaste, line the edge with that an inch or so taller than the cake boards and let it dry. (I hope you know what I mean, it's hard to explain.) But how to I keep the lid from sticking to the fondant on the cake? I was thinking maybe wax paper but that was really my only idea other than a lot of powdered sugar or something. Not sure how the climate is going to be and who knows maybe it won't get sticky at all. Oh i was going to make the lid closed on the cake kind of like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39615881@N06/5395035635/

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

i'm not real clear on exactly what you meant so i can't quite comment on your idea

i made one, a 'jewelry box' by making a separate wallet to go with a purse cake

it's just a fondant covered box containing the real jewelry box

so an idea for you is just find a box to put the jewery box in--probably wrap the jb in plastic wrap first

then just cover that in fondant like it was a gift--you could hide it amongst the 'tissue paper wrappings' often found sticking up out of the hat box if you design yours that way

i just let the b-day girl tear it open to get to the box with the necklace

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 5

ABasically I just need to figure out how to make a lid that can be taken off. I figured out how to put the necklace in it. Now for the lid so she can open it and see the necklace.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 5

foam?

frkst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frkst Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 5

I made a jewelry box cake.  The lid was actually a shoebox lid  covered in fondant.  The box was the cake.  Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%