Tiered Brownie Cake With No Filling?

Decorating By JustBakedSLO Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm by JustBakedSLO

JustBakedSLO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedSLO Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 3

I am working on a "cake" for a friend's wedding, and it is going to be made of brownies instead of cake. The top tier is 10", and the bottom tier is 14". Each tier will be covered in fondant and decorated. I was going to fill them with a layer of whipped ganache, but I'm re-thinking that. (Mainly because the goal here was brownies, and not cake, and I can just imagine the caterer trying to dis-assemble and cut them and ending up with a chocolate mess!)

Has anyone ever had success using stacked cakeboards to replace filling? I know I will still need to crumb coat the whole shebang so the fondant sticks and lays smooth, but does anyone have any ideas or opinions about this? Thanks in advance!

icon_smile.gif

Annie Farrell

Just Baked SLO

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 3

Use a regular ganache on top of each brownie layer.  Use 3 layers per tier.

It's OK to use plastic wrap and boards under each layer, just make sure you print out detailed instructions for the caterer (and give a few copies).

I use a regular ganache 2 parts by weight chocolate and 1 part whipping cream, I let it set up until it can be spread,  it works extremely well for fillings.  Soften it over hot water for crumb coating, it does a very good job.

JustBakedSLO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedSLO Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, great tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%