This Client Smh! Rant

Business By LovelyCakes4Us Updated 12 Mar 2013 , 7:13pm by SystemMod1

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:46am
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

The language that guy used in his emails makes me suspicious that he isn't another decorator. I don't why, just some of what he says. Call me crazy...but have you spoken to this man or seen his phone number on your caller id?

So i wasn't crazy when i showed my bestie the email and told her i think its a competitor! She told me to take a brake from making 10 batches of fondant lol! Assuming i was loosing it.icon_razz.gif

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:48am
post #62 of 93
Quote:

The language that guy used in his emails makes me suspicious that he isn't another decorator. I don't why, just some of what he says. Call me crazy...but have you spoken to this man or seen his phone number on your caller id?

To answer your question no.. Hmm makes me wonder now..icon_confused.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:48am
post #63 of 93

I mean, not to be ***ist, but this guy is pretty versed in serving sizes/setups, etc. Seriously not trying to be ***ist, cause I've handled a few weddings that the groom basically did all the work regarding the cake. But they didn't know much.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:54am
post #64 of 93

yeah most people are like i need a cake

and you gotta pull the information out of them

when you ask how many servings they look at you like you just shot their puppy

they're thinking 'hrhuh, i gotta make a decison?'

and he's sizing up the cake for yah?

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #65 of 93
Quote:

I mean, not to be ***ist, but this guy is pretty versed in serving sizes/setups, etc. Seriously not trying to be ***ist, cause I've handled a few weddings that the groom basically did all the work regarding the cake. But they didn't know much.

I'm investigating  *Googles his email addresses* icon_rolleyes.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #66 of 93

AThe customer has probably talked to other bakers already, and it's not a big leap to figure out that a cake needs to be delivered and set up. Nor is it unusual to know your number of servings or how big you want the top tier to be (usually because a topper has already been picked out).

When I price checked competitors I didn't go into that much detail. I certainly didn't say I was on a tight budget (or worse, offer a budget) or continue following up and asking for a consult. In terms of judging local market conditions, information from competitors is more valuable if there aren't artificial restrictions.

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:56am
post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

yeah most people are like i need a cake

and you gotta pull the information out of them

when you ask how many servings they look at you like you just shot their puppy

they're thinking 'hrhuh, i gotta make a decison?'

and he's sizing up the cake for yah?

TRUE DAT! I love CC members...... most icon_razz.gif

jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 12:57am
post #68 of 93

A

Original message sent by LovelyCakes4Us

I'm investigating  *Googles his email addresses* icon_rolleyes.gif

If he is a competitor and used an email address that could be connected to his business you probably don't have much to worry about.

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:00am
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

If he is a competitor and used an email address that could be connected to his business you probably don't have much to worry about.

True. 

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:01am
post #70 of 93

I donot know anything about pricing any cake, but as I look at that picture,I know that will require a lot of flour, sugar, eggs etc. not to forget the time you put in to bake the cakes, and then washing the utensils afterwards, that alone I will charge $500.00!icon_twisted.gif, huh!!!, oh I'm getting a headache, I'll DROP himicon_mad.gif

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:08am
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

I donot know anything about pricing any cake, but as I look at that picture,I know that will require a lot of flour, sugar, eggs etc. not to forget the time you put in to bake the cakes, and then washing the utensils afterwards, that alone I will charge $500.00!icon_twisted.gif, huh!!!, oh I'm getting a headache, I'll DROP himicon_mad.gif

BAM! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:33am
post #72 of 93

Oh my God...I didn't even read the responses to this because when I saw "250 guests" and "$500" I would have responded "I'm sorry, I can't do the cake for that amount, so I can't help you." No more correspondence necessary. And if you're on a tight budget YOU DO NOT INVITE 250 GUESTS TO YOUR WEDDING!!!!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:32am
post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 
And if you're on a tight budget YOU DO NOT INVITE 250 GUESTS TO YOUR WEDDING!!!!

What is that about anyways?!?! Tight budget? You gather your closest friends and family and you have a quiet modest ceremony, and maybe go out for dinner afterwards, where everyone pays their own way. Don't want miss out on getting 5 toasters? Then save your money.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:33am
post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Oh my God...I didn't even read the responses to this because when I saw "250 guests" and "$500" I would have responded "I'm sorry, I can't do the cake for that amount, so I can't help you." No more correspondence necessary. And if you're on a tight budget YOU DO NOT INVITE 250 GUESTS TO YOUR WEDDING!!!!

That was the detail I couldn't get past.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:37am
post #75 of 93

AWe were on a right budget. We got married, had hotdogs, & went back to work.

I didn't expect people to give me a free or discounted wedding. We couldn't afford one...we didn't have one. No sympathy from me!

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:45am
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

That was the detail I couldn't get past.

Sadly i go a client with 300 guest with a budget of 150.00

jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:47am
post #77 of 93

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

I didn't expect people to give me a free or discounted wedding. We couldn't afford one...we didn't have one. No sympathy from me!

To be fair, OP did originally agree to work with the customer to put together a cake that met the customer's requirements within the stated budget. It is entirely possible that the local market is such that $1-2/serving is actually realistic due to market forces and/or mispricing.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:49am
post #78 of 93

A

Sadly i go a client with 300 guest with a budget of 150.00

Is there a common denominator among these low-end customers? Where are they being referred from?

If you keep getting these kinds of inquiries you may want to add starting prices to your web site, if starting prices are already listed make them more prominent.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:56am
post #79 of 93

The groom sounded suspicious to me too, but what would he gain to get you to agree to his budget if he's just checking the going price for the benefit of his own business?

OP:  You said you don't have time... why bother taking time out to vent to strangers on a forum, if you were clearly sure you were not going to take this order?

You took time to answers Jason's request for the breakdown.  You listed 35 lbs. x2!  It's true, your numbers don't add up and your explanations don't make sense (you should NEVER pay out of your own pocket -- don't know what you're referring to by "the balance".)

When you have time to do your research, you'll find many ways to lower your costs.  When you're serious about running a profitable business, you'll find the appropriate industry suppliers.  (For example:  If dowels cost you $15.00 -- I don't know how many you'll get, but for $13.50 -- I'd get 2,000 4.5" lengths... that's .00675 each!  The supply would last years -- not for only one cake.)

Own your mistakes, learn from them, and continue to learn from the resources you have available.  Much luck moving forward.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:01am
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

To be fair, OP did originally agree to work with the customer to put together a cake that met the customer's requirements within the stated budget. It is entirely possible that the local market is such that $1-2/serving is actually realistic due to market forces and/or mispricing.

While that may be the case, Jason, certainly NOT for the cake that was originally pictured :-)  maybe a kitchen cake for $500.  icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:10am
post #81 of 93

A

Original message sent by Laurelj

While that may be the case, Jason, certainly NOT for the cake that was originally pictured :-)  maybe a kitchen cake for $500.  :)

Based on the OP's email to the customer, the compromises were: pickup instead of delivery, forgoing the cake stand, and all tiers had to be the same flavor. OP specifically said that she would look for a design similar to the one the customer picked.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 5:10am
post #82 of 93

What still amazes me is, if OP was going by her stated calculation of $475 cost, and accepted to create the 4 tier wedding cake for $500.00, she essentially planned to make $25 to cover labor and mark up. Really? Wow.

Btw OP, when you buy a large quantity of an ingredient like the 35lb of sugar and only use 10 cups as in your example, the rest of the sugar is not 'out of pocket' for you. It's an asset that gets used up as you make more cakes, so each customer is paying for a share of that sugar if you will. The first customer should not 'carry the weight' of all the sugar, and neither should you. 

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:46am
post #83 of 93

It is not the clients job to know how you price a custom made cake. It's fine to be annoyed (I get annoyed too sometimes), but to post a lenghty rant and to post the clients emails on a public forum is just unprofessional and totally uncalled for. It is your responsibility to say NO, when the dreams do not match the budget. If they are rude or continue to harrass you, then you get to complain. This string of email is nothing out of the ordinary, and does not warrant a public mocking, in my opinion.

If I were the groom and found this thread, I would be really pissed off.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 6:55am
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion 

It is not the clients job to know how you price a custom made cake. It's fine to be annoyed (I get annoyed too sometimes), but to post a lenghty rant and to post the clients emails on a public forum is just unprofessional and totally uncalled for. It is your responsibility to say NO, when the dreams do not match the budget. If they are rude or continue to harrass you, then you get to complain. This string of email is nothing out of the ordinary, and does not warrant a public mocking, in my opinion.

I agree!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:43am
post #85 of 93

Again, I didn't read the other responses except the ones since my last post because I couldn't take it., so this might be a repeat of what someone else said, but why bother with this any longer? Just tell him you can't work with that cake, that budget and that guest count. If it's unrealistic for you you're just wasting his time and your time. 

Plus, the title of the thread is misleading. He's not a client until you have a deposit from him. Until he signs a contract and you have the deposit he's NOT YOUR CLIENT. I think that people think they have to take every job that comes along, but not everyone is your client. If this guy's budget doesn't work for your pricing structure the world will not stop spinning, he'll just have to go somewhere else like Walmart. I can't tell you how many inquiries I turn down every week either because of budget or the date being taken, and I don't fall all over myself apologizing and explaining. I just say "I'm sorry, but I can't do a cake for that number of guests for the budget that you have allotted, so I'm afraid I can't help you." Hit send and it's done. It saves a lot of aggravation.

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:50pm
post #86 of 93

AThanks for rhe tips :)

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:06pm
post #87 of 93

A

Original message sent by Laurelj

While that may be the case, Jason, certainly NOT for the cake that was originally pictured :-)  maybe a kitchen cake for $500.  :)

Yes it would have been a kitchen cake. :) Maybe some simple decorated cupcakes for bridal party is what I would have sent him pics of.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:10pm
post #88 of 93

A

Yes it would have been a kitchen cake. :) Maybe some simple decorated cupcakes for bridal party is what I would have sent him pics of.

That is way different than hat you presented is. That's a whole other ball of gum paste!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm
post #89 of 93

ASeriously, I am so confused. The way this was presented, you were going to give him a discount and a modified design. So really confused & bewildered!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 4:17pm
post #90 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion 

I find this to be a safe place to rant and let off some steam, and I appreciate getting all the different points of view on how to handle the various situations we all encounter. There is also good info about pricing and stock so, I say give the OP some slack.

I also say that the potential client needs a reality check. Just cuz you want something doesn't mean you can get it. It's not wrong to try, but there is just too much work in a cake like that to let it go with no profit. 

For the record (is there a record?) my cake was $250 20 years ago (dear lord). It served 50. We had a small wedding and a flipping fantastic cake! Otherwise, what's the point?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%