Fondant Layer Cut Outs

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 7:55pm by AnnieCahill

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:28am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a picture tutorial on how to make fondant cut out layers? I only found one...this one:

http://www.pieceofcakedecorating.com/2011/12/how-to-make-layered-fondant-images.html

Im wanting to learn how to do images on cakes out of fondant, as I work with BC only...but Ive seen some wonderful images of faces and part of there cloths in fondant and rest in BC...

Any suggestions?

Thanks so Much!!! its appreciated.

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 6

How much more detail do you want from a tutorial?  That one looks pretty thorough to me.  It's very simple and straightforward.  You can use paper but I prefer cardstock since it's a firmer medium to cut around.  Get your picture and cut out the components.  I size my picture in Microsoft Word to make sure it will fit on the cake.  I do mine a little differently than the tutorial.  Instead of building a base and putting all the pieces on that, I cut out each individual piece and then kind of put it together on the cake.  So using Ariel as an example, I would have cut the head, torso, and arms as one piece, using flesh toned fondant, and then cut the purple shell bra and attached it using water.  I would have cut the fins out of lighter green fondant and then the tail from the darker green.  I suppose it's easier to have a base to put everything on, but I have always just done it separately.  Making a base has its advantages though.  You can easily move pieces around and reposition and stretch them without marring the buttercream.  Maybe I will start doing it that way. 

The key is to make sure you roll your fondant thin and let it dry so you can cut it cleanly with a sharp knife.  Otherwise it will tear and stretch.  Sometimes I roll mine out the night before I'm going to cut it and then put it on a plate covered in plastic wrap so it doesn't get rock hard.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2929481/a/3307284/made-for-a-co-worker-cake-matched-the-invitation-8-red-velvet-with-cream-cheese-filling/

If you want, I can try to make a tutorial this week since I have a cake on Wednesday.  It's simple though-just a turtle. 

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the post, sorry Im Fondant dumb...Fondant and I tend to fight so it scares the heck out of me...I work in bc and just do it for play around with friends and family. As you can tell from my pictures. But I noticed that other people use fondant cut outs for faces and such and I thought I wonder if I could do that...

I saw a cake that had Tangles and it was only her face dont in fondant and the rest in BC.

Im also scared to death of painting on fondant and thought I wonder if the features could be traced before painting to make sure that it image is right....

Just dumb stuff like that. I'd appreciate any help and I do thank you for the reply.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 6

Oh and as for painting on cakes, if you go to Craftsy.com, they have a free class on painting on fondant. I have not watched it yet, but looks like a good class.

Also I have a ton of tutorials I have saved on my pinterest for different methods and tutorials, so check them out, they are very informative and helpful. http://pinterest.com/gmfcakes/cake-decorating/

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

I have sponge painted on buttercream before.  True story.  It's easy.  Just mix your color with vodka and use a light hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%