Brettley Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 11:21pm
post #1 of

I just had a customer ask me to do a wedding cake for her and she sent me this picture. I don't usually ask for help but if someone could please tell me if this is even a cake..... To me it looks like glass pie pieces filled with styrofoam or something, with piped buttercream seashells and the corasages for flowers.

I am sure I could make this but she wants one for 150 people and to make all of those flowers would be INCREDIBLY expensive.

Thanks in advance for your help!

8 replies
Norasmom Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 11:40pm
post #2 of

That does look fake, like buttercream was whipped in pie piece containers.  Even the flowers look like they are made from ribbon.  You could make chocolate shells to look like the pie containers and then fill each one with cake covered with buttercream.  Then you could do a combination of gumpaste and piped flowers.  It would be complicated for 150 people!

Norasmom Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 11:41pm
post #3 of

And yes, it would be rather expensive.

thecakewitch Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:16am
post #4 of

No, it's not a real cake. This is the link (it's in Japanese, Google translate can help):

http://sweetart.shop-pro.jp/?pid=41869900

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:17am
post #5 of

I agree that whether you make it using the individual pie slice porcelain containers or make chocolate shells for each individual piece of cake, that is going to be one expensive project.

I think I found the creator of the "cake." I had to use Google translate to read the page.

"* This item is made as an ornamental. I can not eat but we made of sugar. It is a work that can be enjoyed decorating forever.

10 cm height 11 cm beside the size of the work Delivered in a special case transparent. Size about 12 cm × 12 cm × 12 cm in the case:"

It looks like it was created as a keepsake gift, not meant to be eaten.

Brettley Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:31am
post #6 of

Thank you for your help everyone!!  I had stared at it enough that I wasn't too sure if I had started seeing things.. lol.

I emailed her back saying that it wasn't a cake, it is an ornament/keepsake. Said I would be able to do something similar and gave her a price breakdown for everything.

remnant3333 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 2:39am
post #7 of

Please post of picture of cake when you make it. Still looks like it would be really hard and complicated to do. Good luck.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:37pm
post #8 of

So, what did your client say? Was she embarrassed? I would've been, lol! I would love to see this made of edible food!

auntginn Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:43pm
post #9 of

Cal Java International (as I'm sure others do) sell corsages of sugar flowers.  You could buy the corsages pre-made and save yourself a lot of time in hand making them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%