New To Cake Central

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 1:46pm by -K8memphis

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone!

Im new to Cake Central but not cake decorating. It's been a hobby/passion of mine for years. I am looking to branch out and learn new techniques to enhance my work. Meeting wonderful people would be a bonus for me, since I've done this on my own for so long. I live in Memphis and I'm looking for a local group or people in the area to connect with. Thank and happy baking! 

DeeDee

12 replies
AllaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllaMarie Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 13

AWelcome! This site has helped me bunches!

SugarExplosion Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 13

AllaMarie

Thank you so much!! I can't wait to start meeting people for all over. 

Newtothis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newtothis Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 13

AHave you looked up your local ICES chapter? They should be having meetings twice a year. Then you HAVE to come to the yearly convention!

BaileighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaileighCakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 13

I am new to CC as well!  I have been making cakes for a long time and about a month ago I made a Facebook page for my cakes.  I have mainly done cakes for my family until I made the page.  Now, I guess I am making cakes for any body.  I posted a cake on Friday and with-in 24 hours over 2,600 people viewed my cake.  Now, I have people calling and messaging me every day for orders.  I am so overwhelmed with everything.  I still have a day job!  lol  I am taking 2 orders a week and having to turn business away so I can keep up.  I had no idea it would be this fast and furious.  I am so nervous and scared.  I have questions about where to get order sheets, pricing, business cards, how to start a bakery, how to meet with potential customers (mainly brides, because I have to meet with 3 now.  lol), equiptment, invintory, etc.  HELP!

SugarExplosion Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 13

@ newtothis I have looked on the ICES page and I found one local chapter but the group is in WestTN but they aren't having a meeting this month. They meet about and hour away from me but I will drive to them, it not a problem. 

@BaileighCakes It's great to hear your business is taking off! I have a full time job as well an I am romance writer working toward getting published. Like yourself I've done most of my cakes for family but when my hubby was active duty I sold cakes as a side income since we moved a lot and I had a lot of time in between jobs and new duty stations. However, I've been in TN for 7 years and never really advertised to coworkers or friends that I made cakes until a coworker asked me to make her cake. Thats the cake as my Avatar. I tried to back out of it since its has been over 9years since I'd decorated a cake for someone other than my daughters birthday but I'm happy she wouldn't let me. It has reenergized me to get back into it again. I'm always baking and trying new things at home then I take them to work. Lol I'm mean that way. I've been thinking about starting a FB page and slowly taking orders. Your story has giving me a lot to think about! Thank!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 13

sugar explosion--warm welcome to the cake world in sweet memphis elvistown 10 oh see

the club is an hour away from you? the one in germantown?

there's two clubs actually--the germantown one that meets at sweetwise on poplar and the one that meets in different places often in shelby forest area or in midtown

we had a 'church split' recently and got two groups for the price of one icon_biggrin.gif

if you want information on the other one --let me know ;)

SugarExplosion Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 13

I would love more info K8memphis! I;ll email you privately.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 13

Baileigh, the best way to get info on all the the topics you mentioned is to use google.  Type...pricing cake central, or business cards cake central...and lots of relevant CC threads will come up.  That method works better for me than using the CC search.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 13

ABaileigh, have you checked with your local authorities about running a business? Health department, county or city planning, etc? I don't know what the rules are for your area, but you could get big-time busted if you're running a business without proper clearance from your local government.

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:04am
post #11 of 13

Check your states cottage food laws. There might be a small fee to do it at home until you get more established and some things you'll have to do before inspection. It's very easy to do and not as scary. In my state it cost me $15.00 for my ID. Plus a little extra for the labels and keeping my kitchen up to code. Best of luck to you!

Jackies Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackies Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileighCakes 

I am so nervous and scared.  I have questions about where to get order sheets, pricing, business cards, how to start a bakery, how to meet with potential customers (mainly brides, because I have to meet with 3 now.  lol), equiptment, invintory, etc.  HELP!

The best place to go for business cards,ordering sheets and a website is Vistaprint.com ! They are a great tool to use I have gotten a lot of business with having them for advertising ! You can check out my website at www.jackiesspecialtycakesanddesserts.com to get a idea of what I'm talking about . 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 13

memphis proper is not licensing anyone for decorated cake without commercial zoning--but if you call the health department typically they will not say that ultimately it's a zoning issue because zoning is not their purview--so you can get your hopes up if you are not careful--there's more than one agency to clear this through

there was somone across the country who was moving here based on what the health department said and i assured her that it is not allowed no matter what the health department says--they do not enforce the zoning--many different fingers in the pie

you can possibly do farmer's market fare by going through the proper channels--but not decorated cakes to order in memphis--so i never went down the farmer's market pathway--so i don't know the bumps in the road going that direction--hopefully it would be smooth sailing

perhaps in the other cities around here it would work but all of them are under shelby county health--but the other cities would have different zoning boards too so i'd recommend starting there with the zoning board in your city--or the health department--fasten your seat belt it can be a little confusing ;)

the peeps in the clubs can help you along too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%