Fondant Experts Please Help!

Decorating By rkarina25 Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 9:22am by docofthedead

rkarina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkarina25 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

AI have always used marshmallow fondant, the white always comes out great and easy to work with but once I add coloring to it it cracks and crumbles. I use the Wilton color gels and I need to make a bright red later on today but again I'm scared of the way it will work out for me... I have always heard good feedback about the Wilton gels, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong...please help???

6 replies
jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

I find its easier to add color to the melted marshmallow goo before adding the powdered sugar.  Also, some people have melted candy melts and added that to the marshmallow goo as well with some good results!  Try that?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 7

Ahttp://cakecentral.com/t/753298/how-do-i-get-deep-red-fondant

Jello or candy melts. I used candy melts to make my sons fireman hat cake last month. It's a very good starting pt but I still had to add quite a bit of gel color. The texture was fine though. Much better than without the help from the candy.

Cakesandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesandstuff Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 7

When I have to make red or black fondant I just buy precoloured as if I try to mix in all the colour, it gets over kneaded and dries which is what causes it to crumble and crack.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 7

Powdered colours are the only way to go for bright colours!

rkarina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkarina25 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:40am
post #6 of 7

AThank u!! I will definitely try something new because I usually just end up throwing my fondant batches away if they do not work out and that is such a waste and it is so tiring to make them...i will definitely try all of these new things and see what works best for me...thanks again!! :D

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:22am
post #7 of 7

I also color the marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar.  It works out really well for rme.  I made a red fondant that came out great, I was using the witon gel colors as well. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%