Switch To Convection Oven? Pros And Cons?

Baking By AlicesMadBatter Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 1:24am by cazza1

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

What are the benefits of switching to a convection oven? Will I be able to bake on more than one rack?  Right now I can pretty much only bake 1 or 2 pans at a time, 3 if 6" pans.  When I'm baking 3 tier cakes with 3 layers each it gets pretty time consuming. Thought switching to a convection oven would cut my baking time in half.  Never baked with convection before.  Any advice, experiences, recommendations, suggestions are greatly appreciated being shared.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

ooohhh like read the responses to this!

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 5

I bake in a regular convection oven and it works great.  I jam that oven full of cakes sometimes and everything always turns out fine :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #4 of 5

You really need to practice two-rack baking. Add a few extra minutes to the bake time and (if necessary) rotate pans top to bottom, front to back.  

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

Some convection ovens work better than others.  Like all things it is just a matter of learning how yours works.  Many ovens now a days give you the choice of using convection or old fashioned.  I have only had convections for years.  Now I have one with different settings and I am actually playing with the old fashioned settings, just out of curiosity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%