Royal Icing Piping Toot???? For Dummies...?

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 11:20pm by kisamarie

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 14

I "Royally"  stink at piping, I've watched many You tube toots, and they all make it look so easy!  I end up with my royal too thick or too thin!  I need Piping for dummies, any suggestions?  Oh and please don't say watch Elaine Macgregor's tutorials, because that woman has Jedi level piping skills and she makes it looks so effortless, like she was piping in the womb!

13 replies
kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 14

How is this done??????????????????????

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 14

Some basic knowledge of how the "right" consistency of any kind of icing feels has to be learned by trial and error (or in a PME class). Some of us got that at our mothers knees and other joints.

Royal icing consistency is easy to control when you make it the British way.

Start with 3 "large" egg whites and a pound of powdered sugar (have some extra from a second pound handy). Let the egg whites come to room temperature after you have separated the yolks.  Add a 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (powder) and beat on medium speed.  Add the whole of the first pound of sugar slowly and keep beating until the icing can hold a soft peak when you pull up a spot with a table knife. It should take 15 minutes of beating, DO NOT whip at high speed.

That is justabout your ideal consistency for borders.  Add a little more sugar for flowers, how much will depend on what kind.  Soften for stringwork and leaves by adding corn syrup.

Then the only way to get better is to pipe for an hour every day.  Fill up an icing bag and practise practise practise. If you use a coupler then you can make some borders and some flowers from the icing.  It is best to use the Wilton icing that has shortening sugar and water, because it can be scraped off and re-used.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie 

How is this done??????????????????????

That's called "brush embroidery" you outline with a piped line and then use a damp brush to do the shadows.

Once you find the instructions in a good book, dump the BoobTube and just work on it. It's not rocket science or brain surgery...just trial and error of a basic method.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 14

It's called brush embroidery. You pipe the outline and then brush some of the RI to the inside. Please see http://youtu.be/nW0kxZ8wK4Y

(I see that two of us were answering you at the same time!)

kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks guys!  I am doing a cake on the 23rd and I think I will try this method, must start practicing this instant!!

kisamarie Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 14

Here's my first attempt, I think my icing was either too thin or my piping tip was too wide...

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:49am
post #8 of 14

AKisamarie, if that is your first attempt to do brush embroidery , you should be very proud of yourself. I can't wait to see your work in the future.

kisamarie Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:57am
post #9 of 14

AThank you Rusti! I think I need to get my consistency right and then it won't look so shloppy! Lol, I'll post pics when I have it down pat :)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:18am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the link Shanter.  I watched how to do this yesterday but the video on your link was much better.

kisamarie Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 14

Yes Shanter Thank you, that video was really great, she makes it look so effortless!

kisamarie Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 14

Here's my final product after a ton of practicing!!

Hand piped lace design based on a pattern seen at lovelytutorials.com.  Gumpaste Anenomes

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by kisamarie

Here's my final product after a ton of practicing!! [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2958627/]Hand piped lace design based on a pattern seen at lovelytutorials.com. Gumpaste Anenomes [/URL]

Well done! That is really good work for someone that's having trouble. You'll be a pro in no time with more practice.

I too love the look of royal icing it's such a skill, but I don't have the time to practice, I really need to when I have time.

kisamarie Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks Meriem!  I went to a site I got off of pinterest called lovelytutorials.com and there are a lot of really pretty templates on there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%