Cherry Juice Substitute - Anyone Ever Used Flavored Syrups?

Baking By AlicesMadBatter Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 8:37pm by BakingIrene

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have a recipe that calls for cherry juice. Great to use the juice from the maraschino cherries, gives it great flavor. But I only get one recipe per jar. Not very cost effective now that I am baking larger quantities.  Anyone ever use flavored syrups like this in their baking? 

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/finest-call-premium-cherry-syrup-1-liter/115CHERRY1L.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=115CHERRY1L&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJz3_57_6rUCFQdU4AodgAcAKA

I imagine there is more sugar in here than in the juice the cherries are sitting in?

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 7

AIf the recipe calls for cherry juice I don't think syrup would work. You can find 100% cherry juice at the grocery store or online (link below), you may have to add some additional sugar since the juice in maraschino cherries is loaded with corn syrup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M0Y8T8/?tag=cakecentral-20

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think the syrup would work either.  I would either buy the juice or use cherry extract.  You can buy pure cherry extract from Olive Nation. 

AlicesMadBatter Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

I'm basically pouring a 1/2 cup of maraschino cherry juice out of the cherry jar. So it is sugary maraschino juice really, not cherry juice you would drink.  Has that fake marashchino cherry taste and gives the cake a pretty pink color. So real cherry juice won't give it the same flavor.    Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting with Lorann cherry flavoring, cherry syrup, cherry puree... Because in the end I am using all this juice and I'm left with lots of cherries!

benicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
benicakes Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 7

Wondering if cherry flavored grenadine would work?  We use that in Sprite to make cherry sprite if we are out of cherry juice!

AlicesMadBatter Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 7

I think the Cherry Torani syrup is basically like grenadine!  Wondering the same, because it is so sugary would we need to reduce amount of sugar called for?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

The LorAnn Washington Cherry flavour is very similar to maraschino cherries except not so acidic.  Only takes a 1/4 teaspoon to flavour a whole cake mix worth of batter so very cheap to use.  Add a little pink colour and make a simple sugar-water syrup to make up the liquid and you are all set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%