Normal Printing (On Normal Paper) On Fondant Cake

Decorating By emmc Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:40am by emmc

emmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmc Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 12:22am
post #1 of 9

I've been asked to make a corporate cake with an image. I've searched all over for icing image printing in my area but there seems to be none, not even in the bakery ingredient stores. So I've been wondering if it is possible for me to use normal printing on normal paper on a cake, by putting another sheet of fondant underneath the paper so that the printing does not directly touch the cake to be eaten? Is this possible and safe?

Thanks!

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 12:52am
post #2 of 9

You could do that, but make sure they know not to try to eat it! I think that you might be able to find someone to do one for you by asking on here if you have time.

emmc Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 12:59am
post #3 of 9

Hi costumeczar, thanks for your reply! Yep, I will definitely make sure they don't eat it!

I'm in Malaysia, and we do have some online services doing it for a fee, but I've checked with them and they cannot guarantee that they will be able to get it to me by next week. And my cake's due on Tuesday.

Anyway, thanks again! :)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:04am
post #4 of 9

Cut a piece of parchment, cover it with fondant, apply your plain paper image to the fondant, use a small smear of buttercream to attach the fondant with image to the top of your cake.  The parchment will easily peel off of your cake and provides a layer of protection between the fondant with image and the cake so no ink will leach through to your cake..  Make sure the people cutting it know to remove the image with the fondant and parchment paper before cutting the cake. 

emmc Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:14am
post #5 of 9

Oh good, even more protection! Thanks! :)

Can I attach it with royal icing instead? And will the pc of fondant with my plain paper image stick to the parchment paper?

Sorry I'm really new to cake deco... this cake is for my team, so I will be there to make sure they don't eat the image!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:22am
post #6 of 9

Spray a little Pam on the parchment then wipe it off, or put a very thin layer of shortening on and wipe it off.  The fondant should stick as if its glued.  Royal icing will probably work even better than buttercream to stick the parchment to your cake.

emmc Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:28am
post #7 of 9

Alright! Thanks so much! :D

BarbVanHorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbVanHorn Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:33am
post #8 of 9

Don't know about Malaysia, but the local supermarket here can do an image on a cake.  I needed a picture in a rush once so took my photo there and had them print it out and I paid them the "extra" fee for a fondant sheet with the pic on it.  It costs $7 and I got it right away.

emmc Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

Nope, not in Malaysia. We rarely have that in bakery ingredient shops, what more to say supermarkets! Seeing as it's so rare, perhaps one of these days I should start icing image printing services for my area hehe... the ones I found online cost about USD9-10 including postage, but will take 2-5 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%