Peer Review Cake Club!

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 2 Aug 2014 , 3:14pm by gscout73

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:41am
post #62 of 768

@ FromScratch,

I've uploaded two more larger photos in the Pizza and Milkshake album.  One is without the cheese and the other is with.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:59am
post #63 of 768

I keep missing all the cakes, is there a way to be notified when someone posts the cake rather than getting a daily email of all the posts?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 4:29am
post #64 of 768

These cakes are getting too good for the likes of me to critique.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 6:59am
post #65 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

I keep missing all the cakes, is there a way to be notified when someone posts the cake rather than getting a daily email of all the posts?

Yes, make sure you change your notifications to "immediately".  The easiest way to do this is post another comment but before you hit submit, change the drop down menu right next to the submit button that says "Get notified when others reply".

FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:00am
post #66 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

These cakes are getting too good for the likes of me to critique.

I know, right?  LOL I'm having a ton of fun with this!  I love seeing everyone's comments.  

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 2:25pm
post #68 of 768

Thanks!

tdovewings Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 2:32pm
post #69 of 768
Jimmyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimmyca Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 2:38pm
post #70 of 768

Sounds like a great idea! Count me in.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #71 of 768

I'll join FS

Blue

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:21pm
post #72 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2881127/a/3279803/banana-cake-bread-and-fondant-details/sort/display_order/   Ok, here's one. I honestly threw this together in like 15 minutes after procrastinating all day and working on the wedding cake. I was happy with it, because it's not one of those fondant/airbrushed ones. Wanted realism. What could I do (if anything) for next time? 

alright i finally figured out what is terribly wrong here~~~

i ordered the pastrami on marble rye and where's my chips?

wha-at? icon_biggrin.gif

it's just about too good to be true!!!!  freal

ohhh banana bread--so clever--awesome!!

Sara1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:47pm
post #74 of 768

Thank you everyone for commenting.  I will definately take all suggestions into consideration for my next project.

BTW, WTF (something) stands for: Who's Turning Fifty (something).  It was her request, I wouldn't have put that on a cake either.  LOL.

viannescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viannescakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 8:36pm
post #75 of 768

This is a great idea!

You guys' cakes are so perfect!  I really have no critique other than WOW!

I'm a beginner, not sure how I go with this, since my cakes are so not on the same level.:(

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 8:43pm
post #76 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by viannescakes 

I'm a beginner, not sure how I go with this, since my cakes are so not on the same level.:(

That's the whole point! Get feedback on what to do next time or what to try a different way to push your work to a higher level! Like if everyone would stop using aluminum foil to cover their presentation board with, BAM! There's an easy improvement right there. Little things like that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 9:21pm
post #77 of 768

Okay, I have always hated this cake! MTB loved it, and I did baby's first birthday and they loved it.it had to be edible images, because that is what they wanted, but what could I have done differently? I did only have 4 hours, start to finish and 4 other cakes due out, and cookies, plus had trouble with my fondant! It was very unforgiving, and I kneaded the heck out of it. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2944240/baby-shower/ 

FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:25pm
post #78 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Okay, I have always hated this cake! MTB loved it, and I did baby's first birthday and they loved it.it had to be edible images, because that is what they wanted, but what could I have done differently? I did only have 4 hours, start to finish and 4 other cakes due out, and cookies, plus had trouble with my fondant! It was very unforgiving, and I kneaded the heck out of it. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2944240/baby-shower/ 

Link doesn't work!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:36pm
post #79 of 768

ARemove the trailing space in the URL: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2944240/baby-shower/

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 10:58pm
post #80 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Link doesn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Remove the trailing space in the URL:
http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2944240/baby-shower/

Yeah, that works, thanks Jason icon_confused.gif

I figured I would put one up for review that is actually bad, since all the other ones are so darn good! I don't need my ego stroked, (right this second, give me time and I may put one of my fabulous ones up, lol! )

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:49am
post #81 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Yes, make sure you change your notifications to "immediately".  The easiest way to do this is post another comment but before you hit submit, change the drop down menu right next to the submit button that says "Get notified when others reply".

I am subscribed/immediately - even went back in and subscribed again - I'm getting about 1 in 5-7 posts from this thread.  I have to depend on others commenting first on a cake in order to get a notification.  Any thoughts?

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:58am
post #82 of 768

I think it only sends a notification every little while, not on every single comment like it used to.  So if I make a post and 5 people post right after me in a short period of time, the system only sends one email.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 5:06am
post #83 of 768

TopTierCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 4:06am
post #85 of 768

OK Peeps!  We have a few cakes up for comment, so don't forget to review them upthread!  Also, I just found a spot in my settings about email frequency.  If you click on your own profile, you will see a "edit subscriptions" on the left side.  Click on that.  Toward the bottom of the screen it has 2 options:

Immediate Subscriptions Notifications

This setting controls how many email notifications we send you when a thread is updated and you have an "immediate" subscription.

Send one notification the first time the thread is updated, but no more until the next time I visit the site (default)
Send a notification every time there is an update. This can result in receiving multiple notifications for each subscription in between visits to the site.

I think it defaults to the top selection, so if you want to get a notification for every post, make sure you change it to "Send a notification every time.

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #86 of 768

I think I am all caught up! Thank you everyone for your review on my cake - I agree the picture is so blurry! I took the picture with my iphone and it looked clear..until I got it on the computer. So disappointing I wont be doing that again. And I agree more flowers on the board would make it better :)

I would love critique on this cake it was for my nephew and while everyone loved it - i do not. The board is waaaay to large and I do not like the grass but I didn't have enough fondant to cover the board and again the camera......

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2410432/a/2411432/my-nephew-wanted-mike-the-knight-and-bob-the-builder-for-his-3rd-birthday-so-i-have-bob-working-on-the-castle/

Also this cake was done for Easter dinner with the family. I feel like its is missing something.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1633304/a/1634114/easter-cake/

Thanks everyone :)

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:26pm
post #87 of 768

I'm in!  I've always wanted to offer encouraging advice on some cakes but don't because I don't want to give it unsolicited! 

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 3:43pm
post #88 of 768

I'd like to join as well!!! Honest, constructive feedback is always helpful!

TopTierCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #90 of 768

I'm such a wimp.  I critique all my cakes so awfully that I know at least 20 things to do different next time.  Hearing my peers saying them to me is just too much to bare!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%