How Do I Create This Look

Decorating By RosiesKitchen Updated 29 Jan 2014 , 11:30am by Claire138

RosiesKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosiesKitchen Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to make a cake like this and am not sure how to make the top swirly bit in the middle.  anyone got any ideas ?  http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltculzBSrj1qhl1q0o1_500.jpg

9 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 10

APiping gel. Color it whatever color you need, and swirl away.

RosiesKitchen Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for that - got a recipe for gel ? Am in the UK so would need UK ingredients

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 10

Yah, I think I agree w/the above ^^^ poster.   Just be sure you DO NOT mix the color into the piping gel well.  Just give it a light mixing.  The LESS you mix it the more you will have the lighter parts.  OR you can make two batches of piping gel - one dark and one barely colored then just drop the light colored one into the dark and Do NOT swirl it at all.

Remember - piping gel takes color VERY well so go lightly when adding the color.  You can always add a bit more to darken it as you want, but it does not lighten near as easily.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 10

AI order mine from GSA. I think you can actually buy colored gels from your local supermarket too. If they have a cake section, there are usually small tubes of it. Anyone else have a recipe for piping gel? I might like to make my own, too, if it's possible.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 10

Just buy piping gel.

You can get it from Almond Art or A Piece of Cake Thame or Sugar Shack or Design a Cake..

If you Google it, there are loads of places that come up.

RosiesKitchen Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 10

thanks everyone so much!  I've just ordered a tup of piping gel (and far too much other stuff) from Sugar Shack!  I'll experiment a bit before I give the cake a go...watch this space!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 10

Hobbycraft at Fort Kinnaird have piping gel, if you find that the stuff from Sugar Shack isn't right.

Hi, by the way :-)  If you're the Rosie's Kitchen I think you are, then you are Helen Stark's friend?  We met for coffee once.  I've wondered if you were on here...

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 10:07am
post #9 of 10

Piping gel is super easy and cheap to make, it is just caster sugar, cornflour, lemon juice and water, personally I think it tastes better than the commercial ones that have a chemical aftertaste.  There is also an American version which uses cornsyrup, but as that is very expensive here.  You just colour it with gel colours. I am not very computer literate so I don't know how to link the recipe, use the search button it's easy to find.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 11:30am
post #10 of 10

I find that when I make piping gel it dries where as the bought ones don't so if you want to have the wet look stay then I would go with store bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%