Leveling Is Killing Me

Lounge By BarbVanHorn Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm by letsgetcaking

BarbVanHorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbVanHorn Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 18

I have been baking for years and just canNOT seem to master freehand leveling. I cheat and use the "hacksaw" acquired from Michaels but that still leaves a few divets and humps.  Anyone else have this problem and suddenly find the magic bullet???

17 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 18

AAgbay cake slicer!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 18

It's not cheating, it's sensible! My advice, along with everyone else's who owns one, would be to save up and buy an Agbay: http://www.agbayproducts.com/

BarbVanHorn Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 18

Is the Agbay better than the Wilton?  They look very similar.  My only complaint about the Wilton is that the blade is a little flexible so I get some rising and falling while cutting and quite often have a hump (small but noticable) in the middle.

Rommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rommy Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 18

ASince purchasing and using the strips around my pans, my cake layers come out pretty even. I have not had to level them at all.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbVanHorn 

Is the Agbay better than the Wilton?  They look very similar.  My only complaint about the Wilton is that the blade is a little flexible so I get some rising and falling while cutting and quite often have a hump (small but noticable) in the middle.

BETTER is the understatement of the century! It is so above it, it is actually worth every penny, even though it is wildly expensive! I have the double blade one, and I level and tort up to 12 cakes at a time. I plop them all out on the table, fit them together snugly, and run my Agbaby, um, AGBAY icon_wink.gif through them all at once! PERFECT slices that don't need the icing smear on the side to make sure they are lined up properly. No lining up necessary! Perfectly level, perfectly torted, every time! That sucker is SHARP! so watch your fingers!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 18

Agbay!  Never had a level cake until I bought mine.  I can find a million ways to justify the cost icon_smile.gif

They are sharp as Annabakescakes says so take care not to mess with the blade (speaking from experience -ouch!)

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 18

How much is the double blade.. I did not see a price?

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 18

nevermind just saw the price.. I will be saving my pennies...wait Canada does not take pennies anymore so it looks like I will be saving my loonies lol

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 18

I finally bought an Agbay (single blade) and everyone is right. It is worth every expensive penny. I cut myself twice this past weekend, so yes, it is quite sharp. I had both the little Wilton, and the serrated Wilton, and I tried a Fat Daddio that looked kind of like the Agbay. Nothing compares to the real thing. You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

BarbVanHorn Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:28am
post #11 of 18

I just put in an order with the hubby for mother's day to get the big Agbay with 2 blades.  Much better than a new vacuum!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:44am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbVanHorn 

I just put in an order with the hubby for mother's day to get the big Agbay with 2 blades.  Much better than a new vacuum!

Yes, yes it is!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:50am
post #13 of 18

Way better than any vacuum, mop or broom!  You will love it.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 3:16am
post #14 of 18

I'm pretty sure that my husband will draw the line at an Agbay. At least until I can legitimately call it a business expense! 

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 18

I only bake for family and friends. I would not be without the Agbay. I even used once after my cake was frosted because I just could not level it. If you don't want to spend the money on the Agaby there is another way: put cake boards in the same size pan as your cake. keep putting as many in until the top of your cake protrudes over the cake pan so that you can then take a knife and trim the top. It works every time!

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 8:44pm
post #16 of 18

I just can't justify and agbay, especially with shipping over here so I use the toothpick method Edna shows in her videos and my levelling is always straight.

Still want an agbay though.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm
post #17 of 18

AIn case this persuades you... http://www.agbayproducts.co.uk/shop/4572871736

It's worth it... Seriously.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 18

Joshua Russell demonstrates how he makes level cuts with a knife in this Craftsy video. (This one is free.)

http://www.craftsy.com/lecture/putting-the-cake-together/1127.html?t=1282

Go to the "Putting the Cake Together" section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%