Ga Home Kitchen Inspection

Business By lefty64 Updated 8 Mar 2013 , 5:19pm by cupadeecakes

lefty64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lefty64 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:24am
post #1 of 8

I am just getting started and getting all of my paperwork in order.  I was just wondering if anyone in GA has had their home kitchen inspection done and what they looked at.  Any info would be appreciated.

7 replies
sugaray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaray Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:52am
post #2 of 8

I'm also about to get started.  I sure hope the process is smooth.  I don't know of anyone who has gone through the process yet. 

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 8

I had mine done 2 weeks ago.  There will be 2 people that will come in, look around, answer any questions you have, take your money, give you a license number, and leave.  The only prep I did was organize and clean.  I think the main things they are there to do is make sure you live in standard housing, your home is clean, and that there is no commercial equipment in the home for baking.  

It was SUPER easy and quick!  Good luck!

lefty64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lefty64 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the info.  I'm still a little nervous.  Do they look at your whole house or just from the door to the kitchen basically?  Did they ask to see a sample of your labels?  Someone had told me that they might.

brenda549 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

Pretty much from the front door to the kitchen.  If you are custom cakes and cupcakes, no labels are required.  You just need to place notice on your invoices.  If you prepare any of the other cottage food items, then they will ask for your labels. 

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

I have a separate legal kitchen on my house, but I was getting my inspection by the Dept of Ag last week and we talked a little about the cottage food law here in GA.  If you haven't done this already, she said the first step was to get things cleared through your local zoning department.  She also talked a lot about septic / sewage inspections and that some people might need additions to their septic system... has anyone that went the cottage food route experienced this?

brenda549 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

I have a separate legal kitchen on my house, but I was getting my inspection by the Dept of Ag last week and we talked a little about the cottage food law here in GA.  If you haven't done this already, she said the first step was to get things cleared through your local zoning department.  She also talked a lot about septic / sewage inspections and that some people might need additions to their septic system... has anyone that went the cottage food route experienced this?

It depends on your county.  I know Gwinnett will not allow a cottage food business unless you are on septic.  I had to go through county water resources who sent me to county planning and zoning, who finally sent me to environmental health to get all the answers.  There was an application to complete with environmental health allowing use of my septic for a cottage food business.  Environmental health said if water use increases or there is a septic failure, these would trigger an inspection of the septic system.  Luckily, I live in a city that requires septic inspections and cleanings every five years, and my tank is twice as large as my family size requires.  

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the info Brenda!  My sister lives in Gwinnett County, really close to Discover Mills.  What a small world!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%