Help!!!

Decorating By mrsdeje Updated 4 Mar 2013 , 5:40am by mrsdeje

mrsdeje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdeje Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:03am
post #1 of 6

Hey all! I'm new to cake decorating and have done a few practice cakes for an upcoming event, but every time I lay the fondant and smooth it out I can see the lines separating my layers. As if that's not bad enough the top of my cake never stays completely flat! So my question is, how much buttercream am I supposed to apply? Should I leave it just a crumb coat? If not, how much buttercream needs to be on the final coat? Or what do you think I'm doing wrong? Please help! 

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa 

5 replies
LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:11am
post #2 of 6

AI normally crumb coat freeze for 15 minutes, final coat freeze for a half hour then use a clean paint brush, brush on some water (a little) then apply my fondant. I normally use a good amount to my second coat to make things look flawless when applying the fondant.

Also try laying a piece of tile on top of your cake for a hour or two to help with bulging. Then apply fondant. Hth

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:11am
post #3 of 6

AI normally crumb coat freeze for 15 minutes, final coat freeze for a half hour then use a clean paint brush, brush on some water (a little) then apply my fondant. I normally use a good amount to my second coat to make things look flawless when applying the fondant.

Also try laying a piece of tile on top of your cake for a hour or two to help with bulging. Then apply fondant. Hth

mrsdeje Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:19am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for the response! A tile? That's a great idea! I would have never thought about that! What type of tile would you recommend? Also, do you recommend leaving the crumb coat over night? Have you ever done that? Bc what I did was fill it and then crumb coat it and leave it over night, then final coat it and let it sit for about an hr to avoid sweating. Is it possible that I rolled the fondant too thin? 

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:33am
post #5 of 6

I usually crumbcoat and refrigerate overnite. Final buttercream is slightly less than a finished buttercream topped cake. Fondant topping is about 3/16" thick (a bit less than a quarter inch)

mrsdeje Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6

Goodvibrations I leave it in the fridge overnight also, I was bit nervous bc ppl I have spoken to said it may sweat, which it didn't at all. I think that's where I went wrong, I didn't put enough icing. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%