Sculpting Trees

Decorating By CKQueen Updated 12 Mar 2013 , 2:16pm by shannycakers

CKQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKQueen Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:38am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any experience sculpting realistic looking trees? My idea is to use wire covered in modeling chocolate for the trunk and branches and somehow attach green chocolate covered corn flake clumps to the branches.  Just wondering if anyone has other ideas???

9 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:50am
post #2 of 10

Just wanted to say the corn flakes idea sounds brilliant!

Karolina-Cake-Designer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karolina-Cake-Designer Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 8:33am
post #3 of 10

Hi, I am just wondering the same, and found this picture.... surely it's made of chocolate, but quite FLAT but I like it!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 8:46am
post #4 of 10

I have done green chocolate covered rice krispies on trees before, messy but they look really cool. I just stuck them on with tiny bits of the melted green chocolate.

I form gumpaste around a wire for the trunks/branches, just like you were thinking of doing, it works great.

CKQueen Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 10

AI am very pleased with how my trees turned out. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2946390/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 10

love your trees!! awesome job! Could you share how you made them? Also how did you secure the tree inside the cake so it was stable and didnt fall, it looks super heavy ?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 10

awesome cake sculpture!!!!

so happy and well done

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 10

AAwesome idea!

CKQueen Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 10

For the structure of the trees I used some heavy duty wire.  With plyers I twisted several wires together at the bottom for the trunk and covered them in tape.  For the trunk and branches I made modeling chocolate and covered the wires .  The leaves are corn flakes covered in melted marshmallows dyed green.  After completely cooled off I glued them on to the wires with gum paste glue. That was my fear that the trees might topple over...I made a dense 3D cake and inserted a plastic tube into the cake first and then inserted the trees and they held up very well.  I did not have to transport the cake or even move it once I inserted them.  If you have to move the cake I would wait to insert the trees last minute.  Hope this helps.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 10

wonderful! thank you again:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%