Airbrushing

Decorating By Rob8999 Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 3:43am by Rob8999

Rob8999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rob8999 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:47am
post #1 of 5

AI recently started airbrushing cakes. Painting on the buttercream is pretty simple, but I am having issues when it comes to fondant and modeling chocolate. The food coloring doesn't seem to sink in and set like it does on the buttercream. Is there a trick to getting the food coloring to sink in and dry on the fondant, gum paste, or modeling chocolate!

4 replies
LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:20am
post #2 of 5

What colors are you airbrusing with?

Is the color made for airbrush, or DIY?

Also, airbrush in light layers. This gives the color a chance to dry. 3 light layers is better than 1 heavy layer...

What kinds of colors are you airbushing with? For example, pearls/metallics will not be as opaque as solid colors and need to be layered for maximum payoff.

Rob8999 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 12:47am
post #3 of 5

AI was using black airbrush food coloring. It was made for the airbrush gun, not a DIY. I think the light layers would have worked, I probably rushed it because I wanted to get the cake done. The airbrush looked good on the buttercream just not on the modeling chocolate. Thanks.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

Airbrushing on modeling chocolate does require light layers.

You're applying a water-based color onto a fat-based product. Color beading up and even dripping will happen unless you sloooow down. Even more than when working on fondant.

The brand of color also makes a difference. 

In my experience, it is always easier to airbrush on modeling chocolate or chocolate with lusters/pearls than with plain colors.

Rob8999 Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 3:43am
post #5 of 5

AThanks for the comment, I will try this the next time. I was in to much of a rush, but now I know for the future. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%