What To Charge For A Wedding Cake

Decorating By horsecrazy247 Updated 4 Mar 2013 , 3:44am by howsweet

horsecrazy247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horsecrazy247 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:16am
post #1 of 4

i am doing my first wedding cake in just it will be a 3 trie  a 10,8 amd 6 inch  saw a 3 teir in wall mart foe $138 but not much to it or very fancy.

3 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:02am
post #2 of 4

It's impossible to give a price without more information, but my base price would be $370. Anything like flowers, ball trim, lots of stripes, toppers, or any other detailed artwork would be extra.  Delivery would be extra.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:34am
post #3 of 4

For a basic, no decorations, no delivery, stacked buttercream cake my starting price would be $270. (60 servings at $4.50 each)

However, that does you no good unless you live in the same area as me and have the same overhead as me.

You need to break down your ingredient prices, expenses, and labour, and figure out what the going rates are in your area.

That means real bakeries, you cannot base your prices off Walmart, or you will be grossly undercutting both yourself and the other bakers in your area.

There are hundreds of threads on how to price out your cakes, I'd suggest doing a search on the site and reading through them.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:39am
post #4 of 4

Also, if you don't use the Wilton chart and base the price on 60 servings instead of 74 you may be cheating yourself because most bakeries use the Wilton chart. If you quote the cake as having 60 servings and they compare prices somewhere and get another quote based on 60 servings with someone who does use the Wilton chart....well you see the problem.

When I first started, i quoted cakes based on Earlene's chart because she says on her website that you can't cut as many servings as Wilton says you can. Then I cut a few cakes myself and discovered Earlene was mostly wrong. I also discovered that most people ordering high end cakes already understand the 1x2x4 serving size. I do always explain that that if they aren't expert cake cutters, they might want to order extra cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%