Fondant Decorations - How Far In Advance Can I Make Them? Suppose To Last A Long Time But....???

Decorating By AlicesMadBatter Updated 4 Mar 2013 , 2:21am by scrumdiddlycakes

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

I have a random MMF question. I have a BIG cake week next week. Wanted to get a jump start. How far in advance can I make MMF decorations to go on the sides of a round cake? I tried the other day on a cake with some I had made ahead of time and they had dried, so when placed on the cake they had no give and therefore cracked. Do I need to dry them on the side of a pan or something to give them the appropriate shape? Any advice is appreciated.

3 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

AI've made fondant decorations up to a week in advance. Just place them in a ziplock bag and they should be fine

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:04am
post #3 of 4

Hmm, i wonder what happened to my last ones then. I made them about 4 days in advance and they dried hard then cracked when I tried to put them on the sides of the cake. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:21am
post #4 of 4

I make mine weeks in advance quite often, assuming they won't be eaten. Now I never use straight fondant for figures/flowers, I either use gumpaste or fondant with tylose added, you never want to store those in an airtight container. The residual moisture in the fondant will cause them to droop.

I just put them in a flat cardboard box with no lid, and lightly drape it with saran wrap, (not tightly or sealed), just to keep dust off.

If they need to be a certain shape, definitely dry them in that shape, you can't re-shape them later. I know MMF takes longer to dry, but after 4 days they should be pretty solid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%