laurabeth595 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:15pm
post #1 of

i am making a sculpted cake and i need to know what to do to change my recipe to make the cake more sturdy. will be icing in buttercream so i would like to have a nice sturdy cake that wont crumble. please help

9 replies
pipesqueak Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:01am
post #2 of

The best recipe for sculpted cakes is in the confetti cakes book by elisa Strauss. You can also search this forum for the durable 3 d cake. It's ok but not as perfect as the confetti cakes recipe

howsweet Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:08am
post #3 of

I don't have that book, but pound cake works very well.

lahlbrecht Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:06am
post #4 of

I'm not familiar with that book, where can I find it?

pipesqueak Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:44pm
post #5 of

I got mine on Amazon. Sometimes they have it at stores like Michaels or JoAnns - then you can use a 40 or 50% off coupon

pipesqueak Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:45pm
post #6 of

Her cakes are amazing and sculpt beautifully. The vanilla cake tastes like a sugar cookie and comes out perfect every time. Especially if you do it in a half sheet pan.

Dayti Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:22pm
post #7 of

In Elisa Strauss's class on Craftsy, she includes the vanilla cake recipe in the materials, if you can't buy her book in time. Her class is actually very good, I enjoyed it and learned lots about sculpting and decorating 3D cakes from it.

pipesqueak Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:03pm
post #8 of

Absolutely agree !!! I'm doing her purse cake right now. Just got it sculpted and covered yesterday and putting the handles on it today !!

pipesqueak Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:04pm
post #9 of

Groupon also has some craftsy deals right now - you can get the class for $18... They have bundle prices also

cookielvr13 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:41pm

AThe Groupon you mentioned where is listed under? I'm in NY but didn't see anything.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%