Flourless Choc Cake To Stack And Dec???!! Help!

Decorating By kianson Updated 10 Mar 2013 , 12:24am by theresaf

kianson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kianson Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

AHi all I have a baby shower cake to make.... Flourless choc cake has been requested. Firstly, I need a recipe! Secondly advice!! Of the recipes I've found, most make a fairly flat, dense cake. I typically make layered cakes, covered with ganache and fondant, then decorated. 1. Can you stack flourless cakes? 2. Would choc ganache be too much on a flourless choc cake? 3. If I can stack and ganache, do they set up the same as other cakes, allowing me to fondant and decorate as normal? 4. A lot of the recipes call for a springform pan.....but I need a square cake! Will the cake turn out of a square tin ok?

I'm going to do some trials today, but any recipes/ advice/ opinions/ answers would be MUCH appreciated!!

3 replies
slapsappyhappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slapsappyhappy Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 4

The flourless chocolate cake I made was very dense, and whenever I have had them at a restaurant they are dense as well. I put a layer of ganache on mine and it was delicious! I cannot imagine stacking them as they are so rich that even a small piece of a single layer is enough. I do not know about the square pan, you might have an issue getting it out of the square pan because you cannot open it up. Good luck!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 4

Look up the two wedding cake recipe books by Dede Wilson.  One of them has a recipe for flourless cake and she stacked it 4 tiers deep.  Her recipes are scaled for the different pan sizes.  OK I have not tried the recipes but the instructions are very detailed and worth reading.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 12:24am
post #4 of 4

I'm interested in what others say here because I had a difficult time myself with the flour less choc.  It is super rich as others have said.  In mine, first I had to cut/trim the crackly top and edges (what a sin.  I had to eat all those parts!). Even though its dense I found it crumbly and tricky to ice.  The cake itself was yummy. I used a version of Martha Stewart's with instant espresso .  I would not use this as a stacking cake again.  I wound up putting a yellow cake above and below it to stack.  Good luck.

Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%